No announcement yet.

Replacing Windows Server 2008 DC with Windows Server Essentails 2012 R2 DC

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Replacing Windows Server 2008 DC with Windows Server Essentails 2012 R2 DC

Client has to have Server 2008 DC replaced. We are building a new server for them. It will be Windows Server Essentials 2012 R2. I have read several post in the forum about replacing a DC.
    I have not installed a server for several years, and am feeling a little bit overwhelmed. I understand that you can begin with setting up the new server as a member server on the existing domain.
    I found an article in the forum, MWeber's Blog, which helped a little bit. Is there something available that will give me step by step instructions, like (DC replacement for Dummies)? I would like this install to go as smoothly as possible. Will I be able to use the same server name and IP address? Do I set up the DNS, DHCP on the new server before it is promoted to a DC?
    Thank you in advance for your assistance.

If you do not feel comfortable, consider getting a consultant to hand-hold you through the process, which should not take long and will give you valuable experience.
    Alternatively set up a virtual test environment and practice the operation using trial licenses.

I have not worked with essentials, but as I understand it, the process is join to domain as member server, promote to DC and then transfer other things. DNS can be part of the DCPromo and DHCP should be moved afterwards

Once you are happy everything is working, take the old DC offline for a while - if things still work, bring it back online and unpromote it - since there are only 2 DCs the FSMOs will move correctly
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

cdsparks, YouTube has tutorial videos that may help you through the process. If you have not done this previously, set up a VM network identical to what you are upgrading. When running Server 2008 R2 and 2012 R2, they both run adequately with 1GB RAM assigned so this can be done on a machine with 4GB RAM.