Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unable to take USB Drive Offline

OK,

So I'm trying to make a USB drive availkable to one of my Hyper-V VMs using the Petri article: Boot a Hyper-V Virtual Machine from a USB Drive (see attached) ... the option just isn't there.

EDIT: According to one site, "If your USB disk is only recognized as a removable device and not as a drive, then you can't use it this way. You can create a VHD on it and attach the VHD to your VM, but you can't use it as a passthrough disk." (see attached image)

Any ideas?

Keke
    Attached Files
    Can't get enough virtualization? Learn how to boot a Hyper-V VM to a USB drive in this tutorial by IT pro Peter de Tender.
    Last edited by Kyuuketsuki; 20th September 2016, 21:01.
    J C Rocks (An Aspiring Author's Journey)
    The Abyssal Void War: Stars, Hide Your Fires

Its your drive. Many years ago there used to be a tool that would flip a bit that would change it from being seen as a Removable disk and show as a fixed disk but i can't remember what the tool was.

This might help get you going though http://reboot.pro/topic/10534-conver...list/?p=188245

Please note that i have not tried this so cannot guarantee that it will work.

Comment

Originally posted by wullieb1 View Post
      Its your drive. Many years ago there used to be a tool that would flip a bit that would change it from being seen as a Removable disk and show as a fixed disk but i can't remember what the tool was.

This might help get you going though http://reboot.pro/topic/10534-conver...list/?p=188245

Please note that i have not tried this so cannot guarantee that it will work.
      Thx ... I have quite a few spare USB drives so I can practice with one. I suppose first of all I should try a number of them to see if any are OK already though.

Keke
      Last edited by Kyuuketsuki; 21st September 2016, 08:39.

Comment

Originally posted by Kyuuketsuki View Post
        Thx ... I have quite a few spare USB drives so I can practice with one. I suppose first of all I should try a number of them to see if any are OK already though.
        Well there you go ... although I didn't follow your link (I checked it out), your advice about "flipping a bit" led me on a tangential path.

All of my small USBs (pen drives?) were classed as removable so wouldn't have worked for what I wanted. However, reasoning this "bit flip" thing was electronic I remembered I had a number of small drive caddies for laptop drives and several 32GB SATA SSD drives (the type some old IBM blades used to use), attached one of those was able to take that offline. Step 1 complete.

I wanted the USB to use to boot and build some virtual Win 7 systems in Hyper-V and the DVD I had for the OS was badly scratched, the ISO I created from it had errors and failed immediately. I tried cleaning the disk using alcohol and even polish it managing to create an ISO that worked but then failed at 6% copy. Clearly something wrong with my source files on the DVD. I had the same files on a couple of USBs and spectacularly failed to create a bootable ISO from them (I used MagicISO) hence the USB/Hyper-V query. The drive that worked didn't have Win 7 boot on it but a quick visit to the drive snapshot site and 15 minutes later it did. Step 2 complete.

Then I followed the instructions on the Petri article linked in my first post and, although slow, it all worked AOK.

So many thanks Wullieb ... your advice absolutely sorted this out for me

Keke
        Last edited by Kyuuketsuki; 21st September 2016, 11:52.

Comment

Working...
        X