No announcement yet.

Need to build backup Essentials 2012 R2 server

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need to build backup Essentials 2012 R2 server

I have a spare Dell server that I want to have on standby in case something catastrophic happens with my production server. I can't do a bare metal restore because the RAID 5 hard drive space is smaller than the production server's. I want to know if it's possible to do a 'migration' installation that will copy over all of the Active Directory information, but stop short of transferring the FSMO roles. Does anyone know of a way to do this? Otherwise my only option would be to build it using a new local domain name and then if/when the time to deploy it ever came I would have to backup and remove all the client PCs from the domain and then rejoin them to the new server and restore the client user data. Not to mention doing the restore of data on the server which I'm not sure would even work.

Thanks in advance!

Why not have it as an additional DC in the same domain (and for files, use DFS replication)?
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **