No announcement yet.

Windows Server 2012 Remote Desktop Access

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows Server 2012 Remote Desktop Access

When I built a server I can not remote desktop to it by name. I can remote to it by IP address. It has a static IP address.

When I put the server on DHCP, I can access it by name or IP address.

When I put a static IP address on the server, I can only access it by IP address. The name does not work.

When the server was on DHCP, I copied all the DNS info and configured the server with the static IP address with that information.

Any idea what's going on?
    Do I need an entry in the hosts file? The IP address is
    The server name is studentfp
    The full name of the server is

How would I address this in the hosts file?

How is your DNS being provided?
    If Windows DNS, try "IPCONFIG /REGISTERDNS" from the server
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Add the Server Name and IP address to your hosts. file on the machine you are using to RDP into the Server.

A good solution but better to solve the source problem before using a work-around such as hosts. Ossian's suggestion to use /registerdns will force the client to register itself with the DNS server. Once done, open the DNS management console and check the A record exists for the computer name and that it has the correct IP address.
        A recent poll suggests that 6 out of 7 dwarfs are not happy

His DNS is probably being updated by the DHCP role, but not by the clients themselves. Manually entering the DNS A and PTR records for that server is the best way to ensure lookups work for that server.
          MSCA (2003/XP), Security+, CCNA

** Remember: credit where credit is due, and reputation points as appropriate **

I wonder, was the issue resolved?

Daniel Petri
            Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services
            MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT