No announcement yet.

Folder redirection and roaming user profiles on SAN or NAS?

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Folder redirection and roaming user profiles on SAN or NAS?

I am underway deploying Microsoft Windows Server 2012 R2 with active directory role. We will be using “folder redirection” and “Roaming user profiles”. Given that there are over 200 users in this office. Following are my questions:

1. According to my understanding a SAN is preferred over NAS. Because a SAN will enable ACL permissions to be set by the server. Is this correct? Or is NAS a better options and will allow use of ACLs ? Which one of these is recommended?

2. I have little knowledge about this, however what is the recommended physical connection between the storage and the server? A iSCASI or Fiber channel? Is there a better mode of connections?
    Are there any other consideration when deploying folder redirection and roaming user profiles over NAS or SAN?

Thanking you in anticipation.

When using a folder redirection option you need to point the users to a network shared path (UNC path). Where that path is physically located, is a matter of personal choice, but there is also a question of performance and availability that you need to answer. NAS can typically expose a disk array as an SMB share, basically acting as a Windows file share for your clients. SANs usually server their disk arrays to the actual servers via iSCSI and/or other means. Each has its benefits and drawbacks. I would consult with your storage vendor to see what they recommend (and why they recommend it vs. the other solutions).

Daniel Petri
    Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services