Upgrade DC from 2008 R2 Standard to 2012 R2 Standard

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Upgrade DC from 2008 R2 Standard to 2012 R2 Standard

I have a DC running Server 2008 R2 Standard that I need to upgrade to 2012 R2 Standard. Would like to upgrade in place rather than format & install from scratch if possible. I was looking for a write up on how to proceed with the upgrade, where might I find a procedure for this ? Thanks

If you have the hardware or virtualisation platform available, the preferred option is a clean install, join to the domain and DCPROMO, then replicate from the old DC. Once you are sure of full replication, DNS, DHCP etc, just unpromo the old DC. That way no legacy crap transfers from the old install

If you want to do an in place upgrade, it should be OK - IIRC 2012R2 will do the adprep for you, although you could do it separately in advance.
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

ok, thanks

Comment

Doing a fresh install is always the preferred method. In this case, since it's a DC, your life is easy.
        Cheers,

Daniel Petri
        Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services
        MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

Working...
        X