No announcement yet.

SBS2008 to Server 2012

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SBS2008 to Server 2012

I'm doing a job in a weeks time where my customer has two servers - SBS2008 and WS 2008. They currently have Exchange 2007 on the SBS server. We are taking the mail to Office 365 and migrating the data from SBS to one WS2012 running as a VM guest on ESXi 6. The second server runs Sage and some other bits which we'll be migrating to a second 2012 VM. They have around 8 - 10 client machines.

The idea is to move them from the old hardware, upgrade the OS and make them more secure and get them onto a server with warranty etc.

What's the best way to do this? I was thinking of building new servers in VM as a new domain and moving the data across and re-joining the client to the new domain. Mail isn't an issue - I can PST and upload those - done this plenty of times so I know a little bit of the process now.

If I spin up the new WS2012 as a DC in the same domain, move the roles etc, the SBS won't like that as it won't be the FSMO owner and may shutdown after a while. If I take this route, do I have to spin it up in migration mode (if that even exists in 2012) - or simply join it to the same domain.?

What happens when I'm finished with the old SBS? Do I decommission once the roles have transferred, remove Exchange etc - or can I just switch it off? Is it possible to DCPromo it to remove it from the domain - I guess I have to remove Exchange first?

Any advice would be great! Thanks!

It's been a while since I last touched an SBS... If I recall, both options work, although IMHO it may be a good time to simply rebuild it all from scratch if you're already at it.

Daniel Petri
    Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services

You've got 3 weeks from moving the FSMO roles off an SBS Server to get it decommissioned. After that, it'll shut itself down once an hour.

Unless you are migrating to a new AD Forest I'd be doing a graceful decommission of Exchange and the SBS DC rather than turning it off, you never know what weirdness might ensue from having things lingering in AD.

Migrating within the same forest is a well documented procedure:-
      So I'd (personally, YMMV) go that route which avoids disjoining and rejoining clients, permissions issues and the need for the evil that is PST files. Do the Office 365 migration before the AD migration and it should be pretty straightforward.
      BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
      Cruachan's Blog