Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

System State backup using Windows Server Backup.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• System State backup using Windows Server Backup.

Hello,

I have total 9 domain controllers in my network, I have configured daily system state backup using Windows Server Backup feature, After few days when i checked i found that logs are saying tat daily backups are happening properly but when i am going to restore it will showing only latest 1 backup.

Is it possible to maintain multiple version using server backup feature which comes with 2008 R2 & 2012.

It depends where you are backing up to.
    IIRC, backing up to a network location will overwrite, but backing up to a dedicated local drive will maintain incremental copies of multiple backups
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Yes, backing up to a network share will overwrite the existing backup. You could include the WindowsImageBackup path in your daily backups, then restore those you need so that you can choose one (assuming this is possible).
      A recent poll suggests that 6 out of 7 dwarfs are not happy

Comment

Thank Ossian / Blood

I am using network location only for storing backups. But i have 2 domain controllers which are 2003 R2 and they are maintaining multiple copies of system state backup even after they are also configured on network path, This is happening with 2008 R2 & 2012 servers only.

Is there any way or script using which i can take a daily system state backups.

I have tried one script but that script works only one time and in task scheduler task keep in running mode.
        Last edited by Akshay Pate; 8th April 2016, 04:09.

Comment

2003 uses a different (I(MHO better) backup engine to 2008 and later
          Only way would be to script and schedule backups to different paths - post the script you have, and maybe someone can suggest a different one

If this is business data, spend money on proper backup software - you may never need it, but if you don't get it, you will surely come to regret it
          Tom Jones
          MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
          PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
          IT Trainer / Consultant
          Ossian Ltd
          Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

How are you backing your company data up at present? Is there a reason you cannot include the WindowsImageBackup path in that backup?

Comment

We are using 3rd party application to take backup of our data and storing on NAS/SAN devices.

Comment

SO why not back up your DCs in the same way?
                Tom Jones
                PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                IT Trainer / Consultant
                Ossian Ltd
                Scotland

Comment

As Ossian says, if you use Windows Backup to backup the System State locally, Windows Backup will create a System Backup for each day. If you have the space that is fine, assuming nothing happens to the drive the backups are stored on.

As you have discovered, when you use Windows Backup to backup the System State to a share on a different computer Windows Backup overwrites that backup each day so you only ever have the latest System State backup to fall back on.

Our point is that you can use your existing backup regime to capture each of those daily System State backups before they are overwritten. If you need to restore a DC using a System State backup you can simply restore that backup to your desired location and then point Windows Backup at it.

Comment

Working...
                  X