No announcement yet.

WSUS Synchronisation question

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WSUS Synchronisation question

Dear All,

Hope someone can point me in the right direction.

Our team has installed a new WSUS Server on Windows Server 2012 R2 and have carried out the first time synchronisation, which worked fine.

What they have now seen is that after a manual synchronisation on Tuesday, there were 42 new Windows updates, these were approved and installed on some of the test servers we have in our environment.

This morning one of the admins, did a refresh of the Updates on the WSUS Server and over 120 new updates have appeared.

Can anyone tell me why this would happen? Is there some sort of delay with getting all the updates that have been released by Microsoft for March?

- Mak

When was the last time the WSUS server was checked for updates? MS no longer strictly adheres to its 'Patch Tuesday' schedule. Have you checked the release dates for the newly appeared updates?
    A recent poll suggests that 6 out of 7 dwarfs are not happy

Yes, it is quite normal for the first few syncs to discover lots of updates - not all clients will have picked up the WSUS server initially, then they may not have reported back

Is WSUS set only to show "needed" updates? or to show all available updates (this is in the options, not the views)
      Tom Jones
      MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
      PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
      IT Trainer / Consultant
      Ossian Ltd

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Thanks for the reply.

The last time the WSUS Server was checked was at the beginng of March.

The released updates are from 6th March to 22nd March.

Thanks for your help.

- Mak

The admin has told me that the WSUS is set to show only "Failed or Needed".

Thanks for your help.

- Mak