Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Server 2012r2 DNS pointing to wrong domain - outside network.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Server 2012r2 DNS pointing to wrong domain - outside network.

In my VirtualBox I have two WinServer2012r2 VMs configured to connect through PfSense router using a common gateway - address of 192.168.1.x. Each VM is using MS Server’s built-in DNS server to function as a domain controller. The first DC, ibm-server, has been set to IBM.COM, and the second DC, microsoft-server, works as Microsoft.com. I can easily ping each domain from within the VMs using the hostname. But, the FQDN is not working at all! The following error appears: “Ping request could not find host ibm-server.ibm.com. Please check the name and try again.” every time.

So, I tried changing the names of the servers to oss.software and windows, respectively. Now every time I ping the FQDNs (oss.software.ibm.com and windows.microsoft.com) the machines reach out to the companies instead of the local server VMs! Windows server seems to think that it’s attempting to communicate with the real companies! I know it’s probably a simple fix like adding a stub zone or A record. I don’t understand why it’s not automatically detecting the other machines in the forest.

It’s impossible at this point to set up a transitive trust between the two domains because of the confusion involved; each machine thinks its trust info is located on an entirely different subnet located on the Internet – the real IBM and MS domains! Can anyone explain why this is occurring? There must be a simple DNS fix.

Interesting!

So each VM a DC running DNS?

Can each VM ping itself using the right FQDN?

Now, between the VMs, how are the DNS servers configured?
    Cheers,

Daniel Petri
    Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services
    MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

Working...
    X