No announcement yet.

Server 2012r2 DNS pointing to wrong domain - outside network.

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Server 2012r2 DNS pointing to wrong domain - outside network.

In my VirtualBox I have two WinServer2012r2 VMs configured to connect through PfSense router using a common gateway - address of 192.168.1.x. Each VM is using MS Server’s built-in DNS server to function as a domain controller. The first DC, ibm-server, has been set to IBM.COM, and the second DC, microsoft-server, works as I can easily ping each domain from within the VMs using the hostname. But, the FQDN is not working at all! The following error appears: “Ping request could not find host Please check the name and try again.” every time.

So, I tried changing the names of the servers to and windows, respectively. Now every time I ping the FQDNs ( and the machines reach out to the companies instead of the local server VMs! Windows server seems to think that it’s attempting to communicate with the real companies! I know it’s probably a simple fix like adding a stub zone or A record. I don’t understand why it’s not automatically detecting the other machines in the forest.

It’s impossible at this point to set up a transitive trust between the two domains because of the confusion involved; each machine thinks its trust info is located on an entirely different subnet located on the Internet – the real IBM and MS domains! Can anyone explain why this is occurring? There must be a simple DNS fix.

So each VM a DC running DNS?

Can each VM ping itself using the right FQDN?

Now, between the VMs, how are the DNS servers configured?

Daniel Petri
    Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services