Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Extending C drive in Windows 2012

Hello,

I installed Windows 2012 server + Exchange 2013 and took up 25 GB of the hard drive!

So, it cannot even install the language packages from Exchange.

I converted the C volume into Dymanic, so as to extend it to gain space.

I added another drive into VirtualBox to extend the C (system, boot) volume, but I read this in Technet:

"...For logical drives, boot, or system volumes, you can extend the volume only into contiguous space and only if the disk can be upgraded to a dynamic disk. For other volumes, you can extend the volume into noncontiguous space, but you will be prompted to convert the disk to dynamic...."

I am looking for a way to get around this. Should I use a third party tool ?
    -
    Madrid (Spain).

CAn you give us more information?
    Physical presumably, not virtual
    Is C the only partition on the drive - and how big is it?
    If not, can you shrink a D partition and expand C

Have you moved Exchange databases and logs to a different drive?

Basically, I would do everything I can to avoid extending to another disk - it could cause you major problems
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

It is virtual actually. I said physical because in a way, it is (I believe)

C is 25 GB , and that partition also contains a recovery partition (which 2012 creates)

I already tried that Ossian, namely shrink the new hard drive and trying to extending the C drive, unsuccessfully. I can shrink the other hard disk, but cannot extend C.

I didn't move any Exchange files because I was in the process of installing that software (Exchange 2013), and actually it throws an error relating the lack of space in C.

It could cause major problems? oh, I didn't know.

Thanks!
      -
      Madrid (Spain).

Comment

I found this:

https://www.partition-magic-server.c...partition.html

Basically, it says it is a Windows 2012 limitation.
        -
        Madrid (Spain).

Comment

Part of the problem is that you've converted the disk to the "Dynamic Disk" partitioning scheme. This Windows-specific partitioning system allows for dynamic extension of partitions into (possibly non-contiguous) free space on any available "dynamic" disk, but with one notable exception: Partitions created prior to the "conversion" can not be extended.

Windows 2012 actually supports dynamic extension of the system partition (and other partitions) into contiguous free space, even with the old MBR scheme. This is particularly useful with virtual disks, since one can simply grow the disk file and then extend the partition, usually without a reboot.

If you still have only the one "C" partition on the virtual disk, you might want to consider converting it back into an MBR disk. Contrary to Microsoft's claims, it is possible to do this without reformatting the drive, provided there's only a single partition on the drive AND that partition was created prior to the conversion. If you simply change the partition type from 42 (Windows SFS) to 7 (HPFS/NTFS) using a suitable third-party partitioning utility, like GNU/Linux fdisk, the drive will once again appear as an MBR disk in Disk Manager, and you'll be able to grow the drive and extend the partition.

Since this is a virtual disk, you can take a snapshot before you start manipulating the partition table, and simply roll back the changes should anything go wrong.

Comment

In desperation, how about using mount points to attach a different drive as a (empty) folder
            Tom Jones
            MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
            PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
            IT Trainer / Consultant
            Ossian Ltd
            Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

The first lesson here is to always check the system requirements before proceeding with your installation. The minimum HDD size requirement for Windows Server 2012 is 32GB. The requirement for Exchange Server 2013 is 30GB (meaning 30GB of available space after the OS is installed).

My suggestion would be that you start from scratch and size your disk appropriately.

Comment

Thanks a lot guys, it has been really helpful.

-Ser Olmy, amazing post of yours, just amazing!

-Ossian, thanks a lot, in desesperation I removed the virtual machine. Since I am focussing my studies on Exchange and MCSA 2012, I thought I would "waste" too much time, which is never true because this issue may arise on the real working environment, any point in the future!

-Joeqwerty - I COULDN'T AGREE MORE, my bad!!
                -
                Madrid (Spain).

Comment

Working...
                X