No announcement yet.

Active Directory Scheme Upgrade for 2012

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Active Directory Scheme Upgrade for 2012

I am going to add a domain controller to my domain ( Windows 2012 R2 for the new DC ) when I ran into this problema.

Very straightforward from what I am Reading:

D:\support\addprep> .\adprep /forestPrep (With Administrator priviledges either from cmd or Powershell)

Then it appears the message I attach as an image, which prompts me to go to a log directory, where I read this:

Adprep failed while performing Exchange schema check.

The Active Directory Domain Services schema is not upgraded.

[User Action]

Check the log file ADPrep.log in the C:\Windows\debug\adprep\logs\20160114081752-test directory for possible cause of failure.
    Adprep encountered a Win32 error.

Error code: 0x6ba Error message: The RPC server is unavailable.

Then I go to google and come across this:

I am stuck.

The new server and the 5-FSMO DC server are in different sites through a VPN, but I can reach the DC server with ping, with \\dc1 , and the firewalls in both servers is OFF.

The DC is Windows 2008 32 bits (NO R2)

Thanks in advance.

Attached Files
    Madrid (Spain).

I would like to post the solution, as I bumped into it a moment ago:

I have two ISA Servers firewalls , one in each site.

Well, there was a rule allowing all the traffic through the VPN, but you have to make sure that the check-box "Enforce Strict RPC Compliance" is unticked.
    Madrid (Spain).

Also, I would strongly consider to perform the Schema upgrade locally on the Win2008 R2 DC that is the Schema Master. Do not do it over the WAN. Once the Schema is upgraded, wait for full AD replication, and then you may promote the new DC.

Daniel Petri
      Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services