import/export active directory users from server 2003 to server 2012

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• import/export active directory users from server 2003 to server 2012

I am currently running server 2003 as our domain controller and it is old and needs replaced. I have bought a new machine and installed Server 2012 on it. The new 2012 box will become the domain controller. I have the new 2012 box configured and ready to replace the 2003 box with the exception of the 100+ users.My current VBS scripts that Iíve used on 2003 fail on 2012 because of LDAP problems. How would I export my 2003 user to my 2012 box so that I may minimize down time between switching out machines? Thanks in advance.

No import/export required if you can keep the same domain:
    Join 2012 box to domain
    Install ADDS role (this will upgrade the schema too)
    DCPromo the new box
    Wait for replication
    UnPromo the old DC
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Thank you for reply. Actually i want to use new domain name. i don't want to use old domain name. Is it possible?

Comment

If it is just a new name, you can rename the domain
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

You can't export/import your users from one domain to another, but you can migrate them with the Active Directory Migration Tool.

Comment

Originally posted by siddique80 View Post
            Thank you for reply. Actually i want to use new domain name. i don't want to use old domain name. Is it possible?

You can rename using the RENDOM command, but beware, it may break things (Exchange for one).

If you want to keep the user details and group membership you can indeed export their details to a CSV file and import to the new domain, but these will not be the same users, as SIDs will not be identical, and passwords will not be imported. So it's basically re-creating the 100 users using the original names.
            Cheers,

Daniel Petri
            Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services
            MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

Working...
            X