Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows Server ESSENTIALS 2012 R2 does not open some websites in client

Hi
    I just installed Windows Server ESSENTIALS 2012 R2 in the server computer, and added a computer client. (I had always made the job for windows 2003 sbs but this is the first time with 2012 server essentials software).
    The fact is that the client computer open some websites and others not. For example it is open Google and Facebook normally but not open amazon.com
    The servers opens all websites. The problem is only in client.
    I appreciate your help in this matter.
    Eric

Hi Eric,
    This problem isn't from the Windows Server Essential. Probably you have a Firewall or proxy that block the specific page.

To understand exactly from where comes the problem you can do the following:

Connect the client computer in another network or just in wifi to has Internet. Then try to open the page that blocked. If the pages continue to be blocked then this means that the problem is from Local PC. Maybe an Antivirus , Internet Security Software or Firewall block the specific pages.

If you can open the specific pages then this means that the problem is in your network. You must search and find any proxy or firewall in your network that is configure to block specific pages.

I 'm very curious to see what will be the problem finally

Comment

The solution is to add your ISP's DNS server IP addresses to the Forwarders on the DNS console. Open the DNS console, right-click the name of the server, choose Properties and select the Forwarders tab. Enter the IP addresses (you should have at least two from your ISP).
      A recent poll suggests that 6 out of 7 dwarfs are not happy

Comment

Thanks guys.
        1- Ktzouv: The computer client solely opens all internet pages. The only problem is when is a client.
        2.- Blood: This server has TWO network cards (the Network Connection which is the nic 192.168.1..2 which is the integrated network card connected with cable to the router AND the Server Local Area nic which is 192.168.0.1 where is the other network card that is connected to a switch which connect clients and other computers. In that manner with windows server 2003 worked very well.
        Currently the Server ifself has Internet and I can surf in ALL web pages. The problem is in computer client and other pcs connected to the network.

I tried to do what you said, in the DNS console, and I went to the Forwarders tab. I tried to add/edit those ip addresses mentioned above, but when I pressed APPLY, I received a message saying that "The Server Fowarder cannot be updated. The ip address is invalid."

I appreciate your help. Eric

Comment

I would suggest taking your 2012 Essentials out of "gateway" mode which is basically what it's doing.

Connect the Cable Router to a gateway or firewall of some description. Then connect both the server and network switches/clients to the same router/firewall.
          Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Other thing that I realized is that in the Events DNS console, I see the same text as messages (It could be everytime a computer client try to access a non resposibe website?): "the DNS server was unable to complete directory service enumeration of zone_msdcs_servername.local The DNS server is configured to use information obtained from Active Directory for this zone and unable to load the zone without it. Check that the Active Directory is functioning properly and repeat enumeration of the zone."
            I don't know is this message has something to do with the problem.
            Thanks for your help.

Eric

Comment

- Is Active Directory running? Is it running correctly?
              - is DNS Service running?
              - what are the ipconfig DNS settings on the srver itself? Pointing to 127.0.0.1 or the IP of the server itself?
              - what happens when you run nslookup on the server itself?
              - what about nslookup on the client?

Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Both client and server point to 192.168.01 when I run nslookup

Comment

I mean: 192.168.0.1

Comment

and does nslookup actually return data?

Comment

Yes. I also tried to add the 8.8.8.8 in the DNS fowarder and it was accepted! BUT after, from client I have access to Amazon.com (for example). BUT I don;t have access to other web pages from clients or guest computers.

Comment

Solved, Somebody told me that 2012 server essentials is no working any more with 2 nics (2 network cards as 2003 sbs did) but it works! The problem was the FIREWALL of Antivirus END POINT PROTECTION. Until know I disabled only the firewall of antivirus only, not the antivirus itself, and I can see ALL web pages from all computers and have access to the hardrives of server! Now I am working with this firewall. Thanks.!

Comment

So, disabling the anti-virus allows you to access all websites? Which anti-virus software are you using?
                          A recent poll suggests that 6 out of 7 dwarfs are not happy

Comment

Working...
                          X