One Domain Controller and DHCP Server for multiple VLANS

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• One Domain Controller and DHCP Server for multiple VLANS

I have a network separated into two vlans and all the IP addressing is done statically; we are planning to put into place a domain controller and DHCP.

My questions are Does the domain controller have to have one physical network connection for each VLAN? Same question for the DHCP server? If not how would this be done? If they donít need to have separate individual connections to each vlan, what vlan would it be best to put it on? One of the two existing vlans or its own separate one? (the domain controller will have a backup)

The DC does not need to be connected to both VLANs, as long as there is some form of routing between them.

Since DHCP is broadcast, you will either need the DHCP server to be visible directly to each VLAN or a DHCP Relay Agent "helper" in place to route broadcasts from one to the other.

If you are planning for two DCs, I would recommend one in each VLAN, with two DHCP scopes
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

thanks
      but i need Creating a site to every vlan !! in my server
      like in this tuto
      http://blogs.technet.com/b/canitpro/...ite-links.aspx
      Last edited by khairy; 31st October 2015, 15:28.

Comment

No - a site is defined as a "well connected" set of subnets, i.e. all inter-subnet communications running at LAN speeds (say 100Mbps or more). There is nothing that requires a site to be a single subnet or vlan
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Working...
        X