server 2012 - user files gone

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• server 2012 - user files gone

I was moving a existing user profile to a new OU with specific GOP parameters. The users existing files were on secondary partition drive ..ie..\\users files\ My Documents .. there are several folders with this same labeling " My Documents" with in the user files folder. I traced down the files that belonged to the user and renamed the My Documents to her user logon name. When setting up the home folder path I was prompted that the folder already exist and did I want this user to have admin rights to this folder. I clicked ok...They experienced a power outage this morning and once everything came back on line the files and folders for this user were gone. Unfortunately they did not have a backup copy of the user files on this server volume. Is there any software or way to be able to recover these files that were one there? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

There are too many possibilities to give definitive solutions, but
    1) ensure nothing can write to the physical drive in question (shut down the server and remove the drtive)
    2) get hold of data recovery software and test
    3) mount the drive as an additional drive on another box and try recovering
    4) URGENTLY REVIEW YOUR BACKUP STRATEGY
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

To add on top of what Ossian said, there are (free, but mostly paid) tools that can read a disk and allow you to recover deleted/missing files, as long as you haven't written over the disk excessively (forensic tools can pull info even after data writing on the disks, but that's a different story).
      Cheers,

Daniel Petri
      Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services
      MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

Working...
      X