• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Upgrading/migrating server sbs 2003 DC to 2012 essentials

Hi Everyone

I am upgrading a customer server and here What I need your advise with

1 Current server is a windows 2003 SBS server working as a DC
    2. The server is setup so all documents for all users get save and sync on the server since the user constaly float between workstations
    3. Server is essentially use for file storage

We order a new server from Dell with windows 2012 essentials

I need you help with
    1. Instructions on how to setup server 2012, then demote 2003 and make the 2012 my DC
    2. Move all users form 2003 to 2012
    3. Setup server to all documents are saved and sync on the server as it was on the 2003

Do I need additional Cals licenses for the users since this is only a file storage server?

Thanks for your help in advance

Regarding the CALs, how many Users do you have?
    How many CALs came with 2012 Essentials?
    CALs from SBS 2003 are not transferable to a different Server operating system so new CALs are required.
    1 1 was a racehorse.
    2 2 was 1 2.
    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
    2 2 1 1 2

Comment

FWIW, I would not look at adding the new server to the existing environment (10 - 12 years old). I would bite the bullet and look at a complete AD rebuild / rejoin clients to a new domain. This will remove a decade of legacy c**p in the current domain.
      Tom Jones
      MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
      PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
      IT Trainer / Consultant
      Ossian Ltd
      Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by Ossian View Post
        FWIW, I would not look at adding the new server to the existing environment (10 - 12 years old). I would bite the bullet and look at a complete AD rebuild / rejoin clients to a new domain. This will remove a decade of legacy c**p in the current domain.

its already quite a bit of work to do a migration to a new server, do you really think adding a new domain is worth it, too? i know someone who did a migration the wrong way, and essentially had to do this, and it was a huge pain. You are probably right though, in that there is going to be some legacy settings in the existing domain. i just prefer to avoid, if nothing else [there will be something else] to NOT build new user profiles. i hate the nit-picking users have on how their profile is set up.

honestly, the OP may need a consultant for this. if you are already in over your head to do the move in the first place, following up on the inevitable troubleshooting [with a new domain or a migrated one] may not be very forgiving.

here is how i have done it in the past.

id add 2012 as the DC, move FSMO roles to it
        setup dhcp and other services, add shared printers
        set your DHCP lease time on the 2003 server to 1 hour
        enable dhcp on 2012 and disable it on 2003. or you can run them side by side IF the DHCP scopes do not overlap.
        uses the microsoft file server migration tool to move documents/folders/permissions from 2003 to 2012
        http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/downl....aspx?id=10268
        * note: i have used this, it works...most of the time. some people prefer robocopy specifically for this sort of thing. i did have an issue with it once. it copied all the data, but flopped on the permissions. resetting redirected folder permissions is not godawful, but you do need to find instructions so you can fix it ASAP if it has a problem.
        change the folder redirection and other scripts/GPOs to point to the new server
        depending on what you move with the file toolkit, this login may re-sync user files to the new server and that first login can take some time
        Optionally, you can disable folder sync for users and let them rebuild their documents on their local pc. Then change the folder redirection gpo to use the new server, then re-login the pcs to rebuild their redirected folders on the new server. That will -- i promise -- take some time.
        turn off the 2003 server for a day or two and make sure nothing is still looking for it [something will probably be looking for it]
        Fix that, then turn it off for a week and fix whatever else pops up.
        if it runs special software of any kind, remember that, then fix it on 2012. find out that you need a new version and licensing and it is impossible to migrate that one thing
        dcpromo the 2003 server, keep it for 2 or 3 months on the off chance one file wasnt copied. if you have full server backups this is less necessary. maybe.

honestly though ,without specific details of how your file redirection works, among other things, that may not be informative enough. i really suggest a consultant for this if anything above sounds pretty alien.

Comment

Thank you everyone for their replies

There is nothing special running on the server

There is no Special database, sql or anything like that
          There is about 11 users, each user the max they have on their doc folder is about 300 MB

The server is been used just for data and documents storage

I could just setup the new server as a new domain and join everyone to the new domain, and just copy their documents to it but then I will have to rebuild each user profile and email programs etc in to the new profile

All i want to be able to do is copy share folder form one server to another
          Copy users files/profiles from the 2003 to the 2012
          demote 2003 and make the new 2012 my DC

Comment

How do I keep current setting on each workstation?

Comment

With 11 users, I would use migwiz and manually export the profiles, then reimport on the new domain

Davensc - from experience, yes, I would do the new domain for the reasons I gave above.
              Tom Jones
              MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
              PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
              IT Trainer / Consultant
              Ossian Ltd
              Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

With 11 users, I would use migwiz and manually export the profiles, then reimport on the new domain

Davensc - from experience, yes, I would do the new domain for the reasons I gave above.
                OK After reading the suggestion I think the best option will be to create a new domain

The help I need with now will be the following

1. When setting up the server where to I setup for all user documents to stay stored at the server as it is now in the current server? ( sync the documents )
                2. migwiz to be use on the workstation?
                Last edited by jeedee; 19th October 2015, 16:30.

Comment

Hi people, I have just done the above, everything went well with the exception of a slight problem I have with the inbuilt admin account. Somehow something has been duplicated and there is a ghost profile which is causing permissions problems. Whenever I try to run a programme from the program file (x86) directory, I get an insufficient credentials error. I have looked at the permissions of this directory tree and there are two almost identical profiles listed, one with the regular permissions granted to the admin account and the other with none. I can't find any reference to it in the registry to amend it. Any ideas?

Two screenshots enclosed.

Update: I took ownership of the directory which allowed me to change the permissions, once they were the same the ghost version disappeared and the majority of the programmes within, are now working. However the firefox browser now won't run as it says the profile is missing or inaccessible. I would love t know what has caused it.
                  Last edited by speeednet; 6th November 2015, 17:45.

Comment

Working...
                  X