How can I get Server ping status..?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How can I get Server ping status..?

I have one domain controller and one TMG 2010 and one SQL Server in my environment. My question is, i want to be notified that if my server is alive or not by pinging the specific server via email. How could this possible? Because sometimes my server is unresponsive but I don't knw and how can i check by sitting at home. Plz do help me

There are a number of tools/services which will do this. A quick reference to the useful, but comparatively unknown, website gives some helpful links:
    https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=em...IAQ&gws_rd=ssl
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

You can take a look at the free edition of EventSentry, EventSentry Light: http://www.eventsentry.com/downloads/select-edition. It does a lot more than just monitoring via ping, but it's pretty easy to setup and free.

I'd like to point out though that simply checking whether a host responds to ICMP requests is not usually sufficient to determine whether it's functioning properly.

Comment

Originally posted by TheWizardOfOz View Post
        You can take a look at the free edition of EventSentry, EventSentry Light: http://www.eventsentry.com/downloads/select-edition. It does a lot more than just monitoring via ping, but it's pretty easy to setup and free.

I'd like to point out though that simply checking whether a host responds to ICMP requests is not usually sufficient to determine whether it's functioning properly.
        reiterating this. it is entirely possible for a server to respond to a ping but have critical services locked up or off. Using something that can monitor services is also helpful, or having something can can generate snmp traps or its own event log entry that can be monitored. im not familiar with event sentry, but PRTG has a 100-sensor free version that can do this type of thing as well.

Comment

Originally posted by davensc View Post

reiterating this. it is entirely possible for a server to respond to a ping but have critical services locked up or off. Using something that can monitor services is also helpful, or having something can can generate snmp traps or its own event log entry that can be monitored. im not familiar with event sentry, but PRTG has a 100-sensor free version that can do this type of thing as well.

Totally agree. This is where a proper implementation of a monitoring solution may come in handy.
          Cheers,

Daniel Petri
          Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services
          MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

Working...
          X