Change IP scope on AD DS network

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Change IP scope on AD DS network

I am not sure if this is the right forum to post the threat but here goes.

I have a AD domain with a scope like this 192.168.1.0/24 I would like to change it to 172.16.x.x/24. I have 2 domain controllers, a Exchange server, 2 file servers, a application server and a couple of member servers.

Is it possible to change the ip scope? If yes, what are the steps?

Yes, it is possible, but requires planning. Indicative steps would be:
    1) reduce length of DHCP leases to say 4 hours
    2) document existing static / reserved IPs (servers, printers, routers - including port forwarding....)
    3) plan new static / reserved IPs
    4) create (but do not activate) new DHCP scope with reservations
    Out of hours
    5) change static IP addresses
    6) Activate new DHCP scope (and deactivate old)
    Wait for clients to pick up new IP addresses
    7) Test extensively
    Last edited by Ossian; 8th October 2015, 13:22.
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

if he has exchange he will likely have to also update firewall rules/NAT translations to use the new address. it is possible new rules could be added for the switch, then the old rules deleted once the switch is over.

its quite a bit of work just to change the ips of everything, i hope there is a pretty good reason for this. you are certain to fat-finger or forget an ip or dns address somewhere in this sort of thing. make sure you have a very thorough checklist to work from.

Comment

My question would be, why do you want to change from a Class C to a Class B IP range? Running out of IPs? If that is the case, why not just change the SubNet Mask to 192.168.1.0/23 and you have doubled you available IPs and not have to make a lot of messy changes.
        1 1 was a racehorse.
        2 2 was 1 2.
        1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
        2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Okay I did it.
          I have successfully change the IP range of my Network. I startet by making a new scope on my DHCP server, making sure that all ip reservations was is it. Then I change the IP on all of my member servers, then I toke my Exchange server and then as the last servers I toke my DC and PDC. After that I gave myself a static address in the new range, logged in to my PDC and made sure all static records was change to the new range, some was not and I change them manually. As the last thing I log in to my firewall and change IP addresses of all objects os it matches the new range. After that I testet my Network and everything is working.

Comment

Also, don't forget to create the correct IP Subnet in AD Sites and Services.
            Cheers,

Daniel Petri
            Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services
            MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

That wasen't created before with the old ip range. Also my domain is only located in one place.

Comment

Originally posted by hilsoe View Post
                That wasen't created before with the old ip range. Also my domain is only located in one place.
                It's still considered best practice to do so. If you want to get and be in the habit of doing it the "right" way then my suggestion would be to create your subnet(s) in ADS&S and associate them with your site.

Comment

I have created the subnet, how do I associate it with my site?

Comment

In ADS&S right click the subnet and select Properties. On the General tab click the Site dropdown and select the Site. Click OK to apply the setting and close the Properties pages.

Comment

Okay that is done during the creation of the subnet? In my case the site is "Default-First-Site-Name".

Comment

It's not done automatically. You'll need to add the relevant IP range to the relevant site. For that you will require schema admin rights as well.

Comment

Can you guide me or link me to an ms article?

Comment

Open ADSS.
                            Right Click On Subnets and select New Subnet
                            Enter the relevant details for your subnet
                            Select the associated Site
                            Click on OK.

Allow for replication to occur.

Comment

I have already done that, and my site is already choosen as I said "Default-First-Site-Name".

Comment

Working...
                              X