• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not connecting to domin and DHCP issue

Hi,
    Im new to this server 2012.
    Could pls help me.
    I have installed server 2012 to a new system and im using a wireless router to give internet and im using the same wireless router to give DHCP as well.
    When i try to join the domain its not connecting,
    Server is also set to DHCP from the wireless router.
    Is this gud or what im doing wrong here.
    Thanks in davance.
    Last edited by danielp; 30th September 2015, 11:43.

To join the domain, you will need to reach the DC (which should absolutely NOT have a dynamic IP address) - can you ping the DC by NetBIOS name and also by FQDN,

Suggest you disable DHCP on the router and configure on your DC
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

I assume you're using your router as DNS. Even if that's not true, since the router is also your DHCP, it should point the DHCP clients to the correct DNS server.

In order to support Active Directory, a DNS server must be able to use SRV Records at a minimum (dynamic updates should also be available, although this is not a must, because you would then need to manually add all relevant records which is time consuming). The best option for this is to use the DC itself as DNS, and obviously the DC should have a static IP address.
      Cheers,

Daniel Petri
      Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services
      MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

Working...
      X