Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Installing from WIM file

Hi All-

I need some help. I have a wim file for Windows Server Standard 2012 R2 that I was provided. I don't need to make any customizations. It was set up by our architecture team, so it should be ready to go. The instructions provided were to use WinPE and ImageX, but from the document provided, it's saying I need to boot into WinPE, but also have the image on a USB stick.

My problem is I'm not local to the server I need it installed on. I'm trying to install on an HP DL380 Gen 8 through the Advanced ILO, and it appears I can only connect one virtual device at a time, and this needs to be an ISO. (or floppy image)

I have tried converting the wim file to iso using Windows AIK, and I've also tried a number of third party programs, but I'm just not getting it. Anytime I try to boot one of these ISO's I create, none of them work. Is there a document out there that is fairly straightforward where I can take this wim file and install the os through the HP ILO using only one attached connection?

Any advice is sincerely appreciated.

Edit: I've seen some solutions where dhcp is required, so I just wanted to add that dhcp is not available for this server.

Hello. If you have an ISO of server 2012 r2 already then all you need is some software which can edit it and then you'll need to replace install.wim in the .\sources directory. It can easily be done with PowerISO.
    When you've replaced install.wim in the .\sources directory and saved the iso as your modded one you can then use the Win7 usb/dvd tool to createa bootable USB installer..
    http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/downl...-download-tool
    That would by far be the easiest way.
    Please remember to award reputation points if you have received good advice.
    I do tend to think 'outside the box' so others may not always share the same views.

MCITP -W7,
    MCSA+Messaging, CCENT, ICND2 slowly getting around to.

Comment

I may have figured it out. Could it really be as easy as replacing the default winpe.wim with my current wim using the deployment and imaging tools? I'll find out soon enough and follow up here.

Comment

Hi, I don't think that would work. winpe.wim is boot.wim which is a cut dowjn OS that only gives basic network functionality, it's basically just a boot disk.
        You'll need to do what I said previously. Download or get a copy of the original ISO from Microsoft. Mine is called en_windows_server_2012_r2_x64_dvd_2707946.iso
        Then replace the default install.wim in the .\sources directory with your modified wim file.

You could use the method you said above and follow it through to create winpe_x86.iso as your boot disk. Then apply your wim using imagex, but that method is a bit more complicated.
        This is a guide on how to do it for windows7 but the same should apply to 2012 too.
        https://emeneye.wordpress.com/2012/0...-using-imagex/
        Last edited by uk_network; 3rd September 2015, 23:40.
        I do tend to think 'outside the box' so others may not always share the same views.

MCITP -W7,

Comment

Thanks for the responses uk_network. I don't have an iso. If I did, I would just install fresh and say the heck with the architecture teams image. lol All I have is this wim and I'm trying to figure out how to install through an ilo with it. I've even tried installing an eval, but I don't have the volume licensing key to upgrade to the full version. (I grabbed the key from another 2012 server (vm) didn't work)

I'll keep tinkering for now.

Comment

You could always do a Google search for en_windows_server_2012_r2_x64_dvd_2707946.iso
            It's available from other sources other than Microsoft

MCITP -W7,

Comment

Working...
            X