Suggest me the best Hyper V backup practices

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suggest me the best Hyper V backup practices

What is the best way to take the Hyper V backups..Is taking the backup on Hyper V host more recommended or backup on individual hyper V guest is better option. I have 4 Hyper V windows physical servers with multiple vm guests installed on it in failover cluster infrastructure .Also, these Hyper V guests are connected to external Storage SAN via pass thru disk. Please suggest the best option.

A lot depends on the backup solution you are using, but one key reason to backup within the Guest OS is applications such as SQL Server and Exchange, where the log files will be truncated when the application detects a backup -- host backups are unlikely to trigger this.

Also your SAN may have its own backup capabilities.

So in summary, there is no "right" answer - it is whatever fits best with your requirements and infrastructure
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

I should note that since you're using pass-through disks (any particular reason why?) you can't take host based backups since the host can't quiesce the VM's disks. It will need to be at the guest layer, possibly in conjunction with the SAN capabilities.
      Regards,
      Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
      Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
      www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Working...
      X