Help in Creating Raid5 in virtual machine via Pass thru disk

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help in Creating Raid5 in virtual machine via Pass thru disk

Please help me to create raid 5 disk in virtual machines which is in failover cluster attached to SAN storage.I want to create Raid 5 of 300 GB in virtual machine via pass thru disk.I tried creating Failover cluster disk in hyper V host and then assigned it to the virtual machine as pass thru disk .Everything worked fine & I was able to create Raid 5 of 300 GB via (3) disk of 300GB under Raid 5, but the next day the machine goes into missing state in hyperV & I have to import it again.All hardware req of Hyper V host is fine with plenty of available resources

If the storage is on a SAN, surely high availability will be handled by the SAN OS? Apart from "practicing" I cannot see any point in creating software RAID on top of hardware
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by Ossian View Post
      If the storage is on a SAN, surely high availability will be handled by the SAN OS? Apart from "practicing" I cannot see any point in creating software RAID on top of hardware
      Yes, the storage is on SAN , so does it mean tht RAID5 on vm is not require if the storage is already on SAN???

Comment

Originally posted by MaverickIT View Post

Yes, the storage is on SAN , so does it mean tht RAID5 on vm is not require if the storage is already on SAN???

No, what's the point? RAID5 gives you disk redundancy, but you already have that because the disks are located on a SAN, aren't they?
        Cheers,

Daniel Petri
        Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services
        MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

Normally yes, but it depends on how the storage on the SAN is configured
          Tom Jones
          MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
          PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
          IT Trainer / Consultant
          Ossian Ltd
          Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by Ossian View Post
            Normally yes, but it depends on how the storage on the SAN is configured
            Thank you !!

Comment

Working...
            X