Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Misreported disk usage

Hi There:

I have a 2012 R2 HP Proliant with a 200GB system drive and a 3TB data drive. Windows is misreporting my data drive as only having 19GB free when, in fact, there is over 1.5TB free. The biggest problem I have with this is that when resources get this low (even if incorrectly), Windows want to pause the VMs I have running on that box. Can't have that!

The best thing I could find while Googling was to run chkdsk /f, which I did last night. Seeing as how I'm posting this, I think you can guess the results.

Thanks in advance for any insights/fixes!
    This is the explorer view. If I select all files on D and hit Properties, this is actual size.

It's probably not misreporting the free space. Download and install windirstat on the server. Then run it as the administrator. It will then report on the hidden and system files. I suspect that your System Volume Information folder or the Recycle Bin folder is very large.
    Regards,
    Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
    Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
    www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Sorry, should have mentioned...Windirstat already ran and reporting 1.5TB free. Thanks, though!

Comment

Run it as the system then. If you don't have permissions to the files (like the System Volume Information) then you can't enumerate it. I have never seen the disk size be inaccurately reported.

To run Windirstat as the system:
        - Download psexec from www.sysinternals.com
        - From an elevated command line run: psexec -i -s <path to Windirstat>
        Regards,
        Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
        Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
        www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Can you post a screenshot of the actual drive properties rather than selecting folders as this won't show hidden folders.

Comment

Working...
          X