Event log group policy stops share access

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Event log group policy stops share access

Hi, I've 2 x Win 2012 servers (server1 & server2) in a Win 2003 domain (2003 FL). My problem is that if I use the GPMC on server1 to create a GP which controls event log size, retention etc., and I apply it to the OU holding server2, I lose access to shares I have created on server2 - weird ! Can someone please explain what is going on here ?

It depends on what settings you have set regarding the event logs. If you specified a limit for the security log and that limit is met, then all authentication and access will be halted except for administrators until the security log is cleaned up or the limitations are changed.
    Regards,
    Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
    Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
    www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Thanks Jeremy, the logs specified in the GP were actually larger than the local log size on the server, but when I changed them again (to an even larger GP value), the share access worked OK . . . thanks for your help, much appreciated.

Comment

Glad you got it sorted!
        Regards,
        Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
        Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
        www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Originally posted by JeremyW View Post
          It depends on what settings you have set regarding the event logs. If you specified a limit for the security log and that limit is met, then all authentication and access will be halted except for administrators until the security log is cleaned up or the limitations are changed.

That's a good one JeremyW!!!!!
          Cheers,

Daniel Petri
          Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services
          MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

Working...
          X