MMC cannot open the file C:\Windows\System32\dsa.msc

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MMC cannot open the file C:\Windows\System32\dsa.msc

Full error message:

MMC cannot open the file C:\Windows\System32\dsa.msc
    This may be because the file does not exist, is not an MMC console, or was created by a later version of MMC. This may also be because you do not have sufficient rights to the file.

I have been encountering this error on our 2012 DC for the past two weeks or so. All Administrative accounts are affected by this error. No one can run the ADUC MMC.
    If I create a new MMC and add the snap in - it works. I just cannot open the built in ADUC console. (sites and services and domains and trusts both work fine btw) I have spent several hours trying fixes I have managed to find through google, all to no avail. Has anyone encountered this error and actually been able to fix it?

tried SFC, replacing the dsa.msc from another server, checked permissions on the file, made sure there was a copy in system32, not just in syswow64...

Thanks to anyone who takes the time to respond - I do appreciate it.
    Last edited by KenH; 23rd July 2015, 15:42.

Have you seen this link for fixing 'Windows corruption errors':

Or there's the repair option from the installation DVD

I've never needed to do this for 2012 R2 so don't know how effective this is.
    A recent poll suggests that 6 out of 7 dwarfs are not happy

Anything in the event log when this happens?
      Please remember to award reputation points if you have received good advice.
      I do tend to think 'outside the box' so others may not always share the same views.

MCITP -W7,
      MCSA+Messaging, CCENT, ICND2 slowly getting around to.

Originally posted by uk_network View Post
        Anything in the event log when this happens?
        No events are logged

Going to try the DSIM repair that Blood mentioned, but SFC found no corrupt files, so I'm thinking it won't work. I will post results...

Error still exists after dsim procedure listed above.
        Last edited by KenH; 24th July 2015, 16:51. Reason: posted results of test