Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Folder Redirection keeps a local copy on the terminal server

Hi All,

I have a problem with my RDS farm and and folder rejection.
    Basically i configured a RDS farm with folder redirection (documents and desktop) and roaming profile.
    The GPOs works fine as i can see for each user the location for the folders i configured are located on a network unc path.
    The problem is with a few users (4 or 5) that their folders pointing to the unc path but, i can see their profile in the rds server with both My documents and Desktop folders (consume a few number of giga bytes)
    Event viewer show no problem with the folder redirection and roaming profile, i event have an information event that the policies applied successfully.
    I have no clue why this is happening.
    If any one know or ran in to this problem, please share with me

Thanks,
    Moshe

Run a RSoP wizard against those users and make sure they're getting the policies you're expecting.

It's also possible that, if their folders are being redirected successfully, there would remain those folders in their profile if they previously existed. Since roaming profiles are in use, it would propagate the folder structure even though the folders are not in use. If folder redirection is working for these 5 users then you can have them delete the folders from their profiles. (you should backup the data before deleting though)
    Regards,
    Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
    Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
    www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Hi, Thanks for the replay.

those 5 users are getting the gpo successfully, i can see it with gpresult and when i right click on their my documents folder i can see the location pointing to the file server.
      Maybe it's caching the profile? this are the only users with a large amount of data...
      I didn't enable offline folders on the rds servers.

Comment

Originally posted by moshiko View Post
        ... and when i right click on their my documents folder i can see the location pointing to the file server.
        My guess then would be this is an artifact from pre-folder redirection or there is an application(s) that don't use the proper paths and assume the folders are local. I would backup the data and then delete the folders and see if anything complains.
        Regards,
        Jeremy

www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Hi, Thanks for the replay.
          I delete the profile from advance settings>users profile so no folders reside on the server for this user. I log-in with this users and i can see that the user's my documents and desktop still create a local copy on the server even though i right click the my documents and desktop folders i can see the location pointing to the file server.
          This is unclear and not reasonable.

Comment

Since you're using roaming profiles, you need to delete the specific folders from the users' profiles while the users are logged on. Then have them log off and allow the changes to sync. If you delete their profile, as you experienced, it will just load up the copy off of the network which contains the folders you're trying to get rid of.
            Regards,
            Jeremy

www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

OK, i'll try that and i'll let you know the result
              Thanks for the help

Comment

Hi, your solution worked for me
                Thank you very much! you are the best!

Comment