Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• migrate from windows server 2003 to server 2012 r2

hi

i migrate the active directory on server 2003 to server 2012 r2 .i migrate all the 5 rule .
    in the end of migrate i check the dns on server 2012 r2 and found a problem with the dns it`s not work. a simple query in monitor on dns manager fail.
    i look at the event viewer dns no error . i demote the old server 2003 but not remove the dns and now i use the dns on it on my network.
    i don`t know what to do and need help.

thank
    eyal

How is DNS configured on your 2012 server?

Are there any event log errors?

Comment

Have never done a 2003 to 2012 migration so never had to research it BUT the other day I was reading something (wish I could remember what it was) but it said Microsoft has admitted that funny or strange things happen when you migrate from 2003 to 2012. I can tell you that a 2003 to 2008/2008 R2 migration went ok as did a 2008/2008 R2 to 2012 R2 migration. If I can find the article and link to it I will or may help. Other than that, it may be easier to make it a 2 step migration.
      1 1 was a racehorse.
      2 2 was 1 2.
      1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
      2 2 1 1 2

Comment

http://blogs.technet.com/b/canitpro/...rver-2012.aspx

Comment

i migrate to windows server 2012 with this article. the Question what can i do now stay with the old dns in windows server 2003 or uninstalld it .
          another option is remove the dns from server 2012 and install again but it can Cause alot of problem, what You should i do ?

thank
          eyal

Comment

Was going to suggest netdiag /fix but Mr Google says that is not available in Server 2012 any more. The article did suggest nltest /dsregdns instead. I would suggest Googling it to better understand what exactly it does. Netdiag used to work a treat but I have not used and do not know anything about nltest yet.

I don't know about removing DNS and reinstalling it in Server 2012 but it wasn't an issue when I did it in Server 2003. However that was some time ago and from Server 2012 quite a bit has changed.
            1 1 was a racehorse.
            2 2 was 1 2.
            1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
            2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Can't find anything on 'reinstalling' DNS. But - if it is working from the 2003 server I would think there is nothing to lose by uninstalling DNS on the new server and re-installing it. Did you make sure the new DNS installation was Active Directory integrated?
              A recent poll suggests that 6 out of 7 dwarfs are not happy

Comment

Originally posted by eyala View Post
                i migrate to windows server 2012 with this article. the Question what can i do now stay with the old dns in windows server 2003 or uninstalld it .
                another option is remove the dns from server 2012 and install again but it can Cause alot of problem, what You should i do ?

thank
                eyal

How many zones do you have in your existing DNS? Are they standard primary zones or AD-integrated? How about other settings? Forwarders? Zone transfers to non-Windows hosts? Scavenging? Stub zones?

Whatever you have in your old DNS can be easily re-created in the new one, and if the zones are AD-integrated it's even easier. I wouldn't sweat too much about it. Just document what you have, and if you've got questions ask.
                Cheers,

Daniel Petri
                Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services
                MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

Working...
                X