How to Copy AD user account?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to Copy AD user account?

I must be missing something rather obvious here but I cannot see how to copy an Active Directory user account using the Active Directory Administrative Center in Windows Server 2012 R2. Under 2008 you right-click the account and choose 'Copy...'.

There's no 'Copy' option in ADAC.

Feel free to embarrass me...
    A recent poll suggests that 6 out of 7 dwarfs are not happy

Hi, i'm not sure about your specific problem but i may know a work around.
    I created a new shortcut on the desktop and typed dsa.msc then opened the usual ADUC console with all the options.
    Please remember to award reputation points if you have received good advice.
    I do tend to think 'outside the box' so others may not always share the same views.

MCITP -W7,
    MCSA+Messaging, CCENT, ICND2 slowly getting around to.

Comment

Originally posted by uk_network View Post
      Hi, i'm not sure about your specific problem but i may know a work around.
      I created a new shortcut on the desktop and typed dsa.msc then opened the usual ADUC console with all the options.
      Yes, thanks a lot. I know I can use ADUC but I thought the 'Administrative Center' being a new-fangled way of presenting ADUC would have the same (and more) functionality.

Comment

True, it's gone. To that, someone at Microsoft will probably answer that they ran a survey through their customers and found that "copy" is the least used option, therefore they removed it...
        Cheers,

Daniel Petri
        Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services
        MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

Originally posted by danielp View Post
          True, it's gone. To that, someone at Microsoft will probably answer that they ran a survey through their customers and found that "copy" is the least used option, therefore they removed it...
          Thanks

Acting upon something that requires no action. I think you may be right as I have seen this before when MS staff have said xx% preferred this, so we removed the other part the lesser percentage of our user base were using. Pointless, why remove functionality - there's nothing to gain

Comment

You can use powershell to copy a user account, one line command as well.

Use get-ADUser and pipe it into new-ADUser then you will need to run get-ADUser.memberof and populate the account with add-ADGroupMember

Comment

Originally posted by danielp View Post
              Ah, that explains why EDLIN.COM was left in the 32 bit version of Windows 7. It MUST be useful. Sweet!

I don't have a AD setup right now but surely the option would really be a MOVE one as copy would imply leaving the original object and making a duplicate at the target location. Can't have 2 objects with the same name in AD. Now I have to go and make a 2008 and a 2012 DC and check this.
              Last edited by biggles77; 17th July 2015, 17:09. Reason: Forgot to add the smilie. DOH!!
              1 1 was a racehorse.
              2 2 was 1 2.
              1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
              2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Originally posted by biggles77 View Post

Ah, that explains why EDLIN.COM was left in the 32 bit version of Windows 7. It MUST be useful. Sweet!

I don't have a AD setup right now but surely the option would really be a MOVE one as copy would imply leaving the original object and making a duplicate at the target location. Can't have 2 objects with the same name in AD. Now I have to go and make a 2008 and a 2012 DC and check this.
                That's not what a copy does. All it really does is creates a new user with the same details, excluding name and SID, etc., as the profile being copied.

Comment

Ah yes, used to make User Templates with the account all configured except for the Name and Password and then Copy the sucker. I really read that post wrong eh.

Sorry Mark, I read it as you wanting to "copy" the User object from one OU to another (as in move it). Dumb arse me!

(Pssst, Thanks Wullie)
                  Last edited by biggles77; 17th July 2015, 12:21.
                  1 1 was a racehorse.
                  2 2 was 1 2.
                  1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                  2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Haha - I was a little perplexed by your answer but as you're far more erudite than I am in these matters I wanted to let the idea sink in before getting back to you in case I was missing something really obvious Thanks anyway - I always appreciate everyone's responses

Comment

erudite Nice word!! Don't ever think that. I am sure you know more about Server 2012 than I will now ever learn. Sorry again for any confusion caused.
                      1 1 was a racehorse.
                      2 2 was 1 2.
                      1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                      2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Eeek, had not used ADAC before and I don't like it. Very clunky IMO compared to ADUC. Feels more like the early MMC. I suppose by Server 2020 they will have it sorted out.
                        1 1 was a racehorse.
                        2 2 was 1 2.
                        1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                        2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Originally posted by biggles77 View Post
                          Eeek, had not used ADAC before and I don't like it. Very clunky IMO compared to ADUC. Feels more like the early MMC. I suppose by Server 2020 they will have it sorted out.
                          Yes. My first impressions were that it is not as user-friendly as the traditional ADUC console. I find it quite 'sparse' as it is.

Comment

But it does include some features (managed passwords, for example) which are not in ADUC.
                            I'm with Chris and Blood, though - not as good as the traditional console
                            Tom Jones
                            MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
                            PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                            IT Trainer / Consultant
                            Ossian Ltd
                            Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Working...
                            X