Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UEFI PXE boot to WDS 2012

Hi All.

I am having an issue with UEFI PXE boot to a WDS 2012 server. Legacy PXE boot works fine, but UEFI PXE does not, so DHCP and the IP helper are working fine. Where should I start in the troubleshooting?
    Any insight would be great.

Thanks!

Have a watch of this and see if it helps. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k5E97ndlRog
    1 1 was a racehorse.
    2 2 was 1 2.
    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
    2 2 1 1 2

Comment

What doesn't work?

Comment

I am working on to deploy Surface Pro 3 tablet using MDT/WDS on windows 2012 server.
        The latest Surface firmware has been applied, both DHCP option 66(IP address of WDS Server) & 67 (Boot\x86\wdsnbp.com) are set
        WDS /Server 2012 PXE boot works fine with all my other hardware devices but not the Surface Pro which has only UEFI. It Skips from Start PXE over IPv4 boot to Start PXE over IPv6 and does not boot.
        I get a message saying >>Start PXE over IPv4
        It hangs there a while, then tries IPv6, then goes back to boot device to windows

Comment

Did you try adding the Policies like what was done in the YouTube video?
          1 1 was a racehorse.
          2 2 was 1 2.
          1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
          2 2 1 1 2

Comment

No I did not add the policies.
            Because I even not getting the response form WDS server, for client IP address and Server IP address.
            Again this for UEFI only, legacy boot is not a problem.

Comment

BranchCache Bob shows you in the video HOW to setup WDS so you CAN get a PXE boot for x86 AND x64 bit UEFI systems. Now I did not know how to PXE a UEFI system due to not having had to do one but the video show a very clear and simple way to ensure both Legacy and UEFI systems can BOTH be able to PXE from WDS.

I do not see why you are not even prepared to try something that someone spent quite a bit of time working out the kinks of how to make it happen. The worst that can happen is that it won't work and you will have lost 5 to 7 minutes of setting up DHCP.

(You mention Option 66 & 67 but have you set Option 60 as well?)
              1 1 was a racehorse.
              2 2 was 1 2.
              1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
              2 2 1 1 2

Comment

You must be doing something wrong with the network side of things then. FYI we have deployed multiple Surface Pro devices many times with no issues.

First off is a system plugged into the same port getting an IP address from DHCP? No IP address will mean no PXE boot.

Is the deployment network on the same network segment as your deployment server?

From memory when we started looking at this we had to add an IP helper address, our deployment LAN is not on the same segment, so that it could communicate with the WDS server.

Comment

Thank you everybody for good suggestions. I will check all configuration setting and let you know if I am still having an issues.

Comment

This might also be worth reading over.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2938884/en-us

As well as here

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/.../dn281955.aspx

Comment

Working...
                    X