Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WSUS help

I have enabled 'use the update service console'

We have over 100 computers connected now and assigned to different groups that were made (some are not reporting and connecting) but that's another issue I will be looking into.

On the left hand side.. I have named the server 'WSUS'. Below all of the options (example: Updates, Computer and Groups.. at the very bottom).. I have two of the same sever names listed (but they appear in lower case).. 'wsus'.

If I check the main report on each of them.. they are identical.

I can remove both of the duplicate named 'wsus' and they eventually re-appear next time you go back into the WSUS server interface.

Any idea why?

Can you post a screenshot please?
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Sure.. any help is really appreciated.
      This is not my server.. no longer onsite.. but this should show what I am referring to..

The server appears up to four times below. Now it is setup on a virtual machine. If I delete them they end up coming back. We also have several uses logging into the server via RDP
      Last edited by vs2015sv; 5th June 2015, 01:17.

Comment

Maybe I am missing something, but the screen shot does not show anything like you describe in the first post

Since you can manage multiple WSUS servers from the console, could the same server have been added multiple times - possibly not under your profile
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Here is the server..

If I remove the servers below 'wsus'.. they eventually re-appear shortly after.

Comment

Half of me says "why worry", but you could try (in the WSUS console) FILE--OPTIONS and then clean up files to reset the console to its default
            Tom Jones
            PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
            IT Trainer / Consultant
            Ossian Ltd
            Scotland

Comment

Just really annoying.

I am also working on publishing a java 8 update through WSUS Package Publisher... which that takes precedent and is becoming very difficult.

Comment

I did notice now that just about every time I close out of the WSUS program and go back in, that is when the duplicate entries appear. I tried cleaning up the files as per your suggestion.. this did not fix the issue.

Comment

Originally posted by vs2015sv
                  I am also working on publishing a java 8 update through WSUS Package Publisher... which that takes precedent and is becoming very difficult.
                  A quick solution to this issue is to extract the Java MSI and push it out via a GPO. Once that is done you have removed some of the pressure to get it fixed. Personally I would blow away WSUS and reinstall it. Just point the new install to the Updates that are already sitting on the HDD.
                  1 1 was a racehorse.
                  2 2 was 1 2.
                  1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                  2 2 1 1 2

Comment

I can't use GPO because we are not on a domian. Starting from scratch isn't a option either.. I have over 200 pcs that need to continue to receive updates.
                    In the ccswinup server, we are using 'use the update service console' to automatically push windows updates that were selected to the pcs.
                    I know there is a lot of 3rd party software that makes this much easier but that is not a option at this point.

Comment

TBH if you are managing 200 PCs without a domain, you have much bigger problems than pushing out a java update!
                      What is the business case for NOT having a domain?
                      Tom Jones
                      PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                      IT Trainer / Consultant
                      Ossian Ltd
                      Scotland

Comment

I don't understand why you can't blow it away and reinstall it. 2 reboots and about 15 minutes of installing (reboots may drastically extend the time) and the problem is likely fixed. If this issue is only annoying and not actually hindering the Updates then leave it alone. If it ain't broke don't fix it. Suggest you look at adding Local Update Publisher to your WSUS for deploying third party updates.
                        1 1 was a racehorse.
                        2 2 was 1 2.
                        1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                        2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Working...
                        X