Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Search failed to initialize

Hi,

I have a fresh install of windows 2008 server and I have installed windows search. All updates have been installed. When using the search as the domain admin I receive "search failed to initialize" when I type anything in the search box.

When logged in as the machine local admin the search works fine. I have deleted the profile for the domain admin and recreated it but search still fails. I have also added the domain admin to the local admin group to make sure that was not the problem.

Does anyone know what the issue migth be?

Thank you.

Beau

edit: There are also a few more things that are not functioning properly as admin. Backup exec will crash when ran as domain admin but run ok as local admin. When I start cmd.exe and type "dir" command prompt will crash on me when doing this as domain admin but ok as local admin. It seems to be some odd permission issues but have no idea what it could be.
    Last edited by bmorency; 22nd April 2015, 16:36.

Re: Search failed to initialize

I would see what policies are being applied to the domain administrator user.
    Any roaming profiles or folder redirection configured?
    Regards,
    Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
    Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
    www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

There are no roming profiles or folder redirection. This is only happening on windows 2008. We have a bunch of 2008 r2 servers that are not having this issue. I thought our current 2008 server was just having issues since it has been in use for a while but I am building a new server with 2008 and is having the exact same issues even on a fresh install.

It seems to be related to group policies as I have created a new domain admin user and denied all group policies from being applied. I deleted the profile on server with the issues and rebooted. I logged in and search and the command prompt were not crashing anymore. I removed some group polices that I added such as a batch file logon script (which run fine when run manually), some registry settings that were being created and copied over a SSL certificate. The settings now seem to be some standard stuff.

I am not sure how to tell what is left that might be causing my problems. Any one know how to figure out what is causing the crashing? Are there maybe some settings that are not compatible with 2008 but are compatible with 2008 R2?

Thank you

Beau

Comment

So when you block group policy from applying things work? Could you post the settings being applied to the domain admin when not blocking policy?

Originally posted by bmorency View Post
        Are there maybe some settings that are not compatible with 2008 but are compatible with 2008 R2?
        It is possible, especially when pushing registry settings and scripts. Any templates should only apply to compatible OS versions.
        Regards,
        Jeremy

www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Yes search and command prompt will work fine when I add the new domain admin to the domain policy and set deny to "apply group policy" in the advanced security settings.

I have attached a zip file with an html file I exported showing what I have active in the default domain policy.

Beau

edit: My login script is pretty basic for mapping drives. It is a batch file.

I have an if statement to detect username and have a goto to jump to the right section and have a net use x: "path\to\share" than an exit command. Not sure if this is causing something to crash but command prompt will crash on login.
          Attached Files
          Last edited by bmorency; 20th April 2015, 18:31.

Comment

Interesting. I don't see anything in the policy's user settings that would be an issue. Maybe the regional settings but I doubt it. I also don't see any script assigned via GPO. Is the script assigned through AD or another policy?

I do see software restriction policies and that would have a much higher potential of causing issues but if it's only domain accounts that are affected then it seems that they aren't the issue since it should be affecting all accounts on the computer.

Could you run a results wizards against a logon that is having issues?
            Regards,
            Jeremy

www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

There are no scripts assigned as I have removed them as I thought they were causing the crash on login but they are usually assigned via GPO.

Something interesting with gpresult though. I ran it as the newly created admin user when the GPO are set to denied. File is attached. I reenabled the GPO and rebooted and logged in as the admin user. I ran gpresult again and received an error saying "the parameter is incorrect". I could not get results.

Beau

edit: i tried running gpresult as the actual domain admin and also received "the parameter is incorrect".
              edit 2: You mention software restrictions. I do not remember adding those unless they were there back when we were on a 2003 sbs server a long time ago before moving to a 2008 R2 DC.
              Attached Files
              Last edited by bmorency; 20th April 2015, 19:13.

Comment

You can remotely get the results. If you're familiar with Group Policy Management console, then go to the Group Policy Results node and run it against the user and computer that is having the issues.
                Regards,
                Jeremy

www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

I have attached the results running it remotely. I had to disable the firewall first though or else I would get" the RPC server is unavailable"

Beau
                  Attached Files

Comment

Ok a bit of an update on this issue.

I did reset on the default domain and default domain controller group policies and deleted the administrator profile on the new server. The default policies are the only ones enabled. I logged in to the new server and search and command prompt are working.

I created a new GPO with some of the settings that I had before the reset and logged in after rebooting the server than search and command prompt started crashing again. I disabled the new GPO and rebooted than log in again search was still crashing. Once I deleted the profile again and login search started working again.

I have attached the new GPO that I created that causes the crashing. Can anyone see anything that would cause the issues? Enabling this GPO also caused gpresult to give invalid parameter.
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by bmorency; 22nd April 2015, 03:14.

Comment

Try removing the regional options and see if you still get crashing of the prompt.
                      (this could be a bug in 2008)
                      Regards,
                      Jeremy

www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Originally posted by JeremyW View Post
                        Try removing the regional options and see if you still get crashing of the prompt.
                        (this could be a bug in 2008)

I can confirm this is a bug in windows 2008. I removed the regional date settings and the crashing has stopped.

Thank you.

Beau

Comment

Glad to help.

If you're so inclined, you can open a ticket with Microsoft and report the bug.
                          Regards,
                          Jeremy

www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Working...
                          X