Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Upgrading to Win Server 2012 Standard

Hi All,

We need to upgrade a Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1 server machine to Windows Server 2012 Standard for DirectX support (3D graphic unit tests).

Our network is managed by SBS2011 sever acting as DC, other two Windows Server 2008 R2 machines and 10 clients.

What is the risk of upgrading one of the Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1 machines (not the SBS 2011 DC of course) to Windows Server 2012 Standard? It is used as database server with SQL server Enterprise version 11.0.5058.0

Thanks for you advice.

Alberto

P.S. I could even try this upgrade first on the third server that act as Backup server only.

Re: Upgrading to Win Server 2012 Standard

Check SQL server is compatible - its SQL 2012 SP2 to save anyone else looking it up.

From the SQL specs https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-gb/lib...=sql.110).aspx you should have no difficulty except that dot net 3.5 is required - this can be installed on Server 2012 but is fiddly (see my thread http://forums.petri.com/showthread.php?t=66628)

Are you planning an in-place upgrade or a new installation?
    Either way, make sure you have good backups to allow a rollback if needed.
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Hi Tom,

It's an in place upgrade, and .NET 3.5 is already installed. For sure I will do a bare metal recovery backup before starting.

Will the Windows Server 2012 setup ask me if I want to upgrade the 2008 R2 installation?

Thanks,

Alberto

Comment

Yes, it should give you the option to upgrade or do a fresh install
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Tom,

What about deleting Windows.old folder I check the first 10 google result without success. I really need to install the Desktop Experience feature and the Disk Cleanup to get rid of it?

Thanks,

Alberto

Comment

Windows.old usually contains user files. So, anything that existed in the previous users\administrator folder - Documents, images etc will be retained and you can move them to your existing users\administrator folder if you wish to keep them.

It is worth checking the Windows.old folder before deleting it.
            A recent poll suggests that 6 out of 7 dwarfs are not happy

Comment

Thanks for the advice Blood but after checking, how do I delete it? That's 12,5 GB

Comment

Try this:

http://windowsitpro.com/windows-serv...dowsold-server

Comment

Already tested, I get a long list of access denied even with admin privileges...

Comment

Enable the desktop experience and reboot then use disk cleanup and that should get rid of it for you.

Comment

Yes, this is what I am trying to do now. Afterward does it worth to remove the desktop experience elements?

Comment

Your call tbh. I have it installed on some of our upgraded servers and never bothered to remove it.

As always its best to see if it will have any impact in your environment before making the correct decision for your org.

Comment

Edited

If that does not work, what happens when you try to take ownership via the Advanced folder Security settings? And are you using the local admin account to do this?

Comment

Working...
                          X