Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

why are not Server 2008 R2 Domain Policies applied sometimes?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• why are not Server 2008 R2 Domain Policies applied sometimes?

hi.

i have a server 2008 r2 as my DC.and i have set a policy on dc so that the default home page of IE in Workstations change to a custom url.

but the problem is that the policy applies sometimes and some other times the policy is not applied.

for example on my computer the homepage of IE changes and then when i restart my pc the IE does not change.and then again after a couple of restart the IE homepage Changes agagin.

i have checked the Policy and it works fine.there is no interference with other policies.i have checked the rsop.msc and there is not problem.but when the custom url is not applied in rsop.msc the policy of custom IE homepage does not exist.

i have also checked "gpresult /h result.html" and when the custom IE is not applied on computers the policy is not shown in the result.html.the object shows that it is applied but the policy inside it does not exist some times.there is a PICTURE OF IT attached.

i have also checked security filtering in Group policy.

i noticed something.when i separated the policies then when i run gpupdate /force on client it gives me the following message:

C:\Users\*****>gpupdate /force

Updating Policy...

User policy could not be updated successfully. The following errors were encountered:

The processing of Group Policy failed. Windows attempted to read the file \\domain\SysVol\domain\Policies\{69246532-757E-4104-92F6-52E2D01753FD}\gpt.ini from a domain controller and was not successful. Group Policy settings may not be applied until this event is resolved. This issue may be transient and could be caused by one or more of the following:

a) Name Resolution/Network Connectivity to the current domain controller.

b) File Replication Service Latency (a file created on another domain controller

has not replicated to the current domain controller).

c) The Distributed File System (DFS) client has been disabled.

Computer policy could not be updated successfully. The following errors were encountered:

The processing of Group Policy failed. Windows attempted to read the file \\domain\SysVol\domain\Policies\{69246532-757E-4104-92F6-52E2D01753FD}\gpt.ini from a domain controller and was not successful. Group Policy settings may not be applied until this event is resolved. This issue may be transient and could be caused by one or more of the following:

a) Name Resolution/Network Connectivity to the current domain controller.

b) File Replication Service Latency (a file created on another domain controller

has not replicated to the current domain controller).

c) The Distributed File System (DFS) client has been disabled.

To diagnose the failure, review the event log or invoke gpmc.msc to access information about Group Policy results.

and when i check i see that {69246532-757E-4104-92F6-52E2D01753FD} is the sid of the new policy i have created in group policy editor.and when i want to access it from explorer it does not exist.when i deleted the policy then there is no error.

i tried to update a registery item from group policy and on client when i do gpupdate/force i see that it gives me a message that policy updated successfully but reg key is not updated.when i check event log it says that the reg path does not exist but when i check in registry on client and server the path exist both on pc and server.

i don't know what the problem is.any idea?
    i would appreciate any answer in advance.
    Attached Files

Re: why are not Server 2008 R2 Domain Policies applied sometimes?

How many DC's do you have in your domain? If more than one, are you sure they are replicating correctly?

If they are not, then one (DC1) will have an older version of the GPO while the other (DC2) will have the more updated one. So when a client pulls the GPO from DC1 it will not have those same rules applied so there will be no change, but when it pulls from DC2 then you'll see the changes you are expecting.

GPO's will either work or not. Most of the time it's because the parameters are not set correctly within the GPO itself. Or, having two different version as I just explained.

Comment

Working...
    X