Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DHCP - Workstations and Connectivity

Hello Everyone.

My company is very small. Not even 200 workstations in house.

We have 1 DHCP server (Win2008r2) that handles everything with ease. Infact, DNS, DHCP, and Active Directory are all on the same server and it never goes above 30% usage.

Outside our network, I have a lab. No physical attachments. 1 little router connects my virtual server to a workstation and the internet. Well, yesterday, I had need to patch a soon-to-be production-level server. So Brains here, put the lab router onto the production network to get it on the domain to patch and promptly forgot about it. Now, this little router is handing out IP addresses to production workstations and making a genuine mess.

Is there a way to make my workstations (all Win7) go exclusively to 1 DHCP server for IP configuration? Some setting somewhere? I really don't want this to happen...again...because I guarantee I will forget...again.

Thank you for any help you can provide.

Re: DHCP - Workstations and Connectivity

Nope, DHCP respond on broadcasts.
    Create a separate VLAN for your test lab and done.
    Marcel
    Technical Consultant
    Netherlands
    http://www.phetios.com
    http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
    "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
    "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

Originally posted by b3ncampbell
      I really don't want this to happen...again...because I guarantee I will forget...again.
      Nah, just put a message about this under the Domain Administrator password that is on the postit note stuck to the side of the monitor.

Joke made to make you feel better. I once spent half a day trying to find out why Terminal Server clients were getting the wrong IP until I was told about a hidden teeny weeny Netgear router that was turned on during the night shift.

Famous Quote supposedly by Albert Einstein about Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new. Change the word tried to learned and you have gained something money cannot buy (unless it was a Train Signal Lab); EXPERIENCE.

Let us know how it works out and come back often.
      1 1 was a racehorse.
      2 2 was 1 2.
      1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
      2 2 1 1 2

Comment

And then a follow-up question.

If it's only broadcast, are you saying anyone could walk in with a router, plug it into the wall (power and network) and it would not only start handing out addresses but my machines would take them?

Benjamin Campbell

Comment

Absolutely correct - rogue (not rouge ) DHCP servers can be an occupational hazard
          Tom Jones
          MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
          PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
          IT Trainer / Consultant
          Ossian Ltd
          Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Yes - that's right. I caused this to happen recently at a local council office. I had edited the configuration of a router and to do so I had unplugged the cable from the WAN socket and plugged it into the LAN socket. After configuring it (the DHCP server gave out addresses on a completely different subnet), I gave the router back to the person who had bought it in so they could return it to the office. But, I had forgotten to switch the cable back over the WAN port. The person who took it back was not an IT person so they just plugged it into an available wall socket. The next day everyone in that office had no Internet access and was unable to access their files.... their IT support quickly identified the problem. Whoops!
            A recent poll suggests that 6 out of 7 dwarfs are not happy

Comment

DHCP snooping?
              http://blog.ipspace.net/2009/03/bloc...p-servers.html
              Marcel
              Technical Consultant
              Netherlands
              http://www.phetios.com
              http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
              "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
              "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

Working...
              X