DNS Suffix Snafu

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DNS Suffix Snafu

Went through the rendom process almost two months ago and from all appearances, all went well as there were no errors generated at each step. I just discovered this morning that the original domain suffix is still being attached to the client network adapter. ipconfig /all shows the primary dns suffix as being the new domain name but the suffix search list shows first the new primary dns suffix followed by the old dns suffix. The connection specific suffix however shows the old dns suffix. Our domain controller servers as both the DNS & DHCP server along with a backup domain controller. How do you go about eliminating the old dns suffix?

Re: DNS Suffix Snafu

Remove it from the NIC. There's no need to have it there.

Comment

i worked at modifying the nic settings but could not find anywhere to remove the reference. the domain controller is set to dole out static ip addresses to specific client computers and the settings for the nic are such that they obtain dns and ip address settings automatically. is there another method to use? command line maybe?

Comment

Check your DHCP scope settings
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

If I understand your issue correctly, then this could be done via GPO

http://www.ryanjadams.com/2009/10/dn...#axzz3T3qFF1km
          Please remember to award reputation points if you have received good advice.
          I do tend to think 'outside the box' so others may not always share the same views.

MCITP -W7,
          MCSA+Messaging, CCENT, ICND2 slowly getting around to.

Comment

i did check the dhcp scope and there wasn't anything that was out of place. i did review the posted link and yes, i found two entries in the tcpip parameters that had the old domain listed and made changes but even though the changes were made, upon reboot the settings of the old domain were written back. i didn't do the gpo fix as we don't have that many clients in the network.
            Last edited by jon_ak; 1st March 2015, 00:43.

Comment

I was able to correct this issue finally. Since every time I made modifications to my registry and the old domain name came back I thought it was a group policy setting but it wasn't. Turns out it was in the DHCP scope and I found it in the Server Options....DNS Domain Name setting. Changed that and all is as it should be now. Thanks for the help

Comment

Working...
              X