No announcement yet.

New Improvement on Windows Infrastructure

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Improvement on Windows Infrastructure

Hello Everyone,

I have taken up a new assignment with a team to manage the entire AD and Wintel operations for the client. Though they have an already existing setup. I have been asked to spend some time and research on the existing network and make it to some standards. I mean without client saying, to improve the services/infrastructure to a better standards so that it becomes easy to manage and maintain. Easy to identity the issue related to incidents when it occurs.

We have Both Windows 2000, 2003 and 2008 R2 servers and Domain Controllers. DNS is integrated with AD. We have DHCP, Exchange and Office communicator implemented.

I was handling a different technology, though i have good understanding of AD and Windows i would like to get your help as in what are the things i should start focusing on.

What improvements should i go ahead with. Is there a any bench mark or a predefined standard already which should be implemented in a Datacenter?

Request you all to pour in your suggestions/advises.

Re: New Improvement on Windows Infrastructure

Well, before you do anything else, retire the 2000 and 2003 servers as they are EOL (unless you have a very compelling business case not to).

Review Exchange and OCS (now Lync) and see if your versions are supported or not.

While you are doing this, document everything and then plan your roadmap carefully.
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Thanks alot ossian. What else considering the best practices for Domain controller and windows server setup?

I am a fan of virtualisation so I would suggest having a couple of physical Server (depends on your company size and requirements of course) and try to cut down on as may physical Servers as possible.

Hyper-V come free with Windows Server but VMware is also an option. You could install the FREE Hypervisor and have a completely Virtual Server environment.
        Departed: 23rd December 2015