No announcement yet.

partition numbers and their importance

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• partition numbers and their importance

I have a ~160GB disk. It's a basic disk, with a 40GB system/boot/active partition, type primary.
    It had a 93GB extended partition, with a logical particion and no real data.
    I deleted the logical partition and that's fine and good.
    my intent is to expand the Primary partition to make it 130GB (or there abouts.)

However, rather than totally destroying a partition table when I've got no OOB access, I thought I'd check quickly.

----------------- ------------------- ---------- --------
    Partition 1 OEM 39 MB 31 KB
    Partition 2 Primary 3072 MB 40 MB
    Partition 3 Primary 40 GB 3112 MB
    Partition 0 Extended 93 GB 43 GB
    there's no data in the extended partition, I only care about the data in Partition 3, seeing as it's boot/system/ etc.

If I understand it correctly, then Partition0 is offset from the start of the disk by 43GB - which roughly correlates to the total size of partitions 1-3.

So it's ok to delete it. ?
    Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point

Re: partition numbers and their importance

As long as you have checked the logical drives inside the partition, yes, it can be deleted
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **