Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Install Active Directory will affected the existing share permission or not

Hi all friend,

I have server already share folder with permission setup by create same username with client login.

Now I want to install active directory for control by domain name, It will affected the exiting share resource or not?

I want to swap one PC by PC.

regards,

Re: Install Active Directory will affected the existing share permission or not

Yes it will (and no it won't)
    The permissions on the share now will be local accounts, on the file server. These will still exist after AD is installed, but will not be the same as accounts on the DC (even if they have the same name)

You will need to
    a) create accounts on the DC
    b) create groups on the DC
    c) Add the relevant accounts to the groups
    d) add the groups to the share permissions on the file server
    e) remove the old permissions (after testing)
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Hi Ossian,

You mean it not affected with local account right? So i can add all account to DC and swap permission one by one it is ok?

one more question if the laptop join DC, if they take to other place, can laptop login with DC server?

Comment

Once the laptop has logged on once on the network, logon credentials will be cached, so it can be taken away and still logged onto with the domain logon. This behaviour can be changed so a DC must always be available to logon, but normally you would leave it as it is

Suggest you get some AD training - books, classes or online (pluralsight.com is very good)
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

it mean my staff can taken and login any network right?

Comment

If you install Active Directory and then create user accounts and you keep the Workgroup going as well staff can either log in to the Active Directory Domain using domain-name\user-account or they can continue to log into the workgroup using local-computer-name\local-user-account.

If they log into the workgroup and you have configured share permissions using accounts that you created in Active Directory they can access the machine that hosts the shares but they will be prompted for their domain user account credentials.

Unless you have a good reason for allowing the active directory domain and the workgroup to exist side-by-side I would only use the Active Directory domain user accounts - it will be much simpler for you to administer and much easier for your staff to use.
            A recent poll suggests that 6 out of 7 dwarfs are not happy

Comment

Working...
            X