Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Deleting Files From Mapped Drives

This is a VMWARE Enviroment

i have a terminal server part of a domain(DC). and i have a data server, all 3 servers, DC included are running 2008R2.

the way my platform works, is that users log into a Terminal Server, users have mapped drives to the DATA Server where 90% of all data is stored. Users email, etc is stored on the TS.

I use VEEAM to back up daily, the data server itself takes a few hours to backup.
    .................................................. .................................................. ...........................
    OK,

if a person works on a project on the TS, lets say for 4 hours, saves it to the data server, but then accidentally deletes it off the DATA Server before it is backed up. It's now gone, because it was deleted from mapped drive. It doesn't go to a recycle bin.
    .................................................. .................................................. ...........................
    Now I have a local backup, and i also have a DR backup location.
    I have all of these backup's but can't save something if it was deleted before being backed up because it was worked on across mapped drive.

I WOULD THINK THAT ALL OF THE COMPANIES DON'T JUST WORK OF OF 1 GIGANTIC SERVER SO FILES WONT BE DELETED.

QUESTION.

1) Is my platform common, if not, what is the normal method when working on TS, but have data stored on another.

2) How do you keep data from "JUST BEING GONE" if deleted.

Re: Deleting Files From Mapped Drives

1) Yes, typically separate roles so file server != Terminal Server
    2) More frequent backups, shadow copies or 3rd party software such as ExecSoft Undelete, but ultimately files will get lost if a user deletes them before they are backed up. Think of it as evolution in action - they won't do it often!

It is akin to getting yelled at by a director who "worked on an excel file all day, then the laptop battery ran out" When asked if he had saved it, the answer was "of course not, that's YOUR job to back up my work". (needless to say, I no longer work in that environment )
    Last edited by Ossian; 14th January 2015, 19:10.
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Shadow Copy may help assuming the Shadow was made before deletion. However if the file in question was being edited then the previous unedited Shadow Copy should still be available.

There are data recovery programs that claim to be able to recover network deleted files. Never had the need to use one of them myself so I cannot verify this claim. I imagine it would require the deleted file's space to have NOT been overwritten.
      1 1 was a racehorse.
      2 2 was 1 2.
      1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
      2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Yeah, this is an issue. When I induct staff one of the things I drill into them is how the backup system works and that if they delete a file on the same day it was created there will not be a backup copy available to restore from.

Shadow copy is great so long as you have the space. I dream about real-time replication software but that's waaaay beyond my budget
        A recent poll suggests that 6 out of 7 dwarfs are not happy

Comment

can you recover only 1 file from shadow copies, or does it restore the whole partition?

Thanks again for your help.

I am so curious on why they don't fix this issue.
          Last edited by Kobe 310; 17th January 2015, 17:41.

Comment

This article is a fairly comprehensive explanation of how it works
            http://technet.microsoft.com/en-gb/l...(v=ws.10).aspx
            A recent poll suggests that 6 out of 7 dwarfs are not happy

Comment

Thanks!!!!

Comment

When you delete files from shares on your network they really vanish. Unlike local files, they are permanently deleted instead of being sent to the recycle bin where you can recover them if needed. Obviously, this may become a huge problem if you accidentally delete an important document.

Comment

Actually there is software that can recover deleted files even from a network drive
                  Shadow copies will do it (if the file has been on the drive long enough) and there used to be an excellent product (Undelete by Executive Software) which would recover files regardless of how they are deleted (cmd prompt, network or local). I haven't looked for it in years, but I see it is still available, although the company has changed name to Condusiv.
                  And of course, there is the almost unknown concept of backing up files!
                  Tom Jones
                  MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
                  PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                  IT Trainer / Consultant
                  Ossian Ltd
                  Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by Forhad View Post
                    When you delete files from shares on your network they really vanish. Unlike local files, they are permanently deleted instead of being sent to the recycle bin where you can recover them if needed.
                    Not quite right Forhad.

Recover deleted network files.

1 1 was a racehorse.
                    2 2 was 1 2.
                    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                    2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Working...
                    X