Rendom Error

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rendom Error

Our network consists of two domain controllers, the primary and a backup, a Domino mail server and IBM Sametime server. All servers are installed with 2008R2, contain no child domains and does not have Exchange. Our existing internet domain where we get our email from is being retired and so I created a new internet domain with the appropriate A and MX records to reflect the new name. With the IBM Domino server, I can create documents that would reflect email as originating from the new domain name but if the header is examined closely, the originating server will still reflect the name of the domain being retired. For reasons that are lengthy to discuss, I'll just say that it is totally unacceptable to company management that this would be the case. so, in lieu of not being able to purchase new gear for a new installation, I elected for the domain rename.

I made sure all updates for both DC's were done, reviewed all the event logs and found them to be all good... cleared out the event logs. From a domain member server which has RSAT installed, I performed tests with dcdiag /s:server.domain.com /v /e /c and all the tests came back as passed.

I created the new zone file and from the member server with RSAT, I ran rendom /list and modified the Domainlist.xml file to reflect the new domain... changing the ForestDNSZone, DomainDnsZone and DNSname to reflect the new domain and the NetBiosName to reflect the new machine Netbios name. I then ran rendom /upload followed by repadmin /syncall and both reported success.

I waited 5 minutes and then ran rendom /prepare and that's when the first errors showed up. Both DC's reported:
    Failed to prepare server1.domain.com : 5
    Failed to prepare server2.domain.com : 5

I have looked all over for an explanation to this error and have struck out. Can anyone offer a cause or corrective action to take so i can continue? The DcList.xml file has both DC's State field as Initial with the Lasterror field as 5.

Re: Rendom Error

Apparently it means Access Denied.
    http://microsoft.public.windows.serv...repare-error-5
    A recent poll suggests that 6 out of 7 dwarfs are not happy

Comment

Thank you very much for the insight... I am running rendom from Powershell with Admin privileges. I am also logged onto the server machine as the domain administrator and checked to make sure I had enterprise admin level, which the administrator account does... I must be overlooking something.

Comment

Is the forest functional level 2003 or higher?
        Are you running from an elevated powershell prompt?
        Regards,
        Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
        Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
        www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Yes, both DC's are at 2008R2 along with the other two servers. I do believe I found the problem but won't be able to address it until after the workday is over... I discovered that I wasn't logged onto the member server as the domain/administrator but was logged on as the server local/administrator and so no... I did not have enterprise admin privileges... If I'm assuming correctly, that should correct the error 5 issue and hopefully not introduce any other error Appreciate the input Jeremy...

Thanks Blood for finding that bit of information....

Comment

Cool beans Please let us know how you get on.
            A recent poll suggests that 6 out of 7 dwarfs are not happy

Comment

Originally posted by jon.albright View Post
              Yes, both DC's are at 2008R2
              Just because you have 2008 R2 servers doesn't mean the forest functional level is at or above 2003. More info: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l...=ws.10%29.aspx
              http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l...=WS.10%29.aspx

Originally posted by jon.albright View Post
              I discovered that I wasn't logged onto the member server as the domain/administrator but was logged on as the server local/administrator and so no... I did not have enterprise admin privileges...
              Yes, this is most likely the issue.
              Regards,
              Jeremy

www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Hi Jeremy, Sorry for it being so long for a reply back to this subject but was prevented by the higher ups from proceeding with the rename due to end year tax stuff. Anyway, yes, the forest functional level is set at 2008R2. I did go through with the rename about a week ago and everything went very well until the gpfixup. All the group policy settings were trashed and had to recreate them. All of that is working as planned now and all client machines are functioning with the new domain name.

New issue: When our mail server sends out email, in the header of the email message, the sending server reflects the new FQDN of the mail server but in parenthesis right after it, the old domain FQDN with IP address is listed. I do not know yet if it is due to our ISP still having an MX record with the old domain name active, am waiting for the end of today to see that. I also started sniffing around and found a couple entries in the registry of the mail server that still contains the old domain name. Do you know if this issue is being caused by something in the schema not being correct or the MX record with our ISP?

Comment

I suggest opening a new thread in the Exchange forum since this is a new issue.
                  Regards,
                  Jeremy

www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Working...
                  X