No announcement yet.

Profile Problems on terminal server

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Profile Problems on terminal server

Hi all, I'm new here.
    I have been dealing for quite some time with a user who has a problem with his profile. Every time he logs in to a server (I tried 3 in total), he gets a temporary profile (a temp folder is created in the users folder). In the eventviewer, a message appears: Windows cannot locate the server copy of your roaming profile and is attempting to log you on with your local profile. Changes to the profile will not be copied to the server when you log off. This error may be caused by network problems or insufficient security rights.
    DETAIL - Access is denied.
    I did the following, all without succes:
    - I tried making him owner of his own profile (the entire profile) and give him full rights.
    - I removed his network profile and the local profiles and let him log back in.
    His folders (like desktop etc) are being redirected to his network profile and that works fine, it's just the roaming part that is not accessible.
    Terminal Server: Windows2008 R2, file server W2012 and previously 2008R2.

Re: Profile Problems on terminal server

Could the registry entry under ProfileList be poining to a local profile directory that no longer exists?

Check the ProfileDirectory key under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList\<user SID>. If it points to the wrong location, you could correct it or simply delete the entire SID key (for the user in question) under ProfileList. The key and all subkeys and values will be regenerated at next logon, and since you've already tried deleting the profile (and seem to be using roaming profiles anyway), nothing important will be lost.

Problem solved by giving rights to the correct profile (we have profiles on several locations).

thanks for letting us know the solution.

that seems really weird and like a complex nightmare to manage.. several profile locations?
        Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point