How to Uninstall Windows 2008 Server

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to Uninstall Windows 2008 Server

I have a test box with Windows 2008 Server installed with no domain controller. I now want to UNINSTALL it and install Windows 8.1. My questions is - will windows 8.1 uninstall it for me or do I have remove it myself?

thanks in advance.

Re: How to Uninstall Windows 2008 Server

When you install 8.1 you have an option to delete existing partitions, or you can install it and it will keep a windows.old folder with the previous version
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

thanks a lot for your post.

Comment

12/5/2014

After installing windows 8 I noticed good old Microsoft UNINSTALL my REALTEK Audio Drivers that came with my Gigabyte motherboard. They intern install a Microsoft sound driver that does not work. Since my motherboard was purchased
        in 2009 Gigabyte does not support it. I know that Realtek has a website with many drivers and some come with additional garbage. Any ideas and/or suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Comment

You will need to look at the motherboard and see what numbers are on the sound chip. That may allow a search to find driver that work with the operating system.

Someone may have a better idea but that's all I have at this point in time. Sorry.
          1 1 was a racehorse.
          2 2 was 1 2.
          1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
          2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Don't Microsoft offer the pre-upgrade wizard any more? Not mission critical in this case, but imagine if you hadn't got network card drivers and had no other way of obtaining them than by download

In general, start with the vendor then the chip manufacturer, and go for as recent a driver (for the correct architecture) as you can - some Win7 drivers will work OK if no Win8 driver is available
            Tom Jones
            MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
            PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
            IT Trainer / Consultant
            Ossian Ltd
            Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

This may assist in finding the audio chip so you get the appropriate driver for it. I have never used the utility so I have no idea if it will work or not.
              1 1 was a racehorse.
              2 2 was 1 2.
              1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
              2 2 1 1 2

Comment

1. You can't uninstall an operating system (not in the conventional sense anyway). You can install another operating system and wipe out the existing operating system, but you can't uninstall Windows Server 2008. There's no uninstall option.

2. Microsoft didn't uninstall your drivers. You're drivers were not installed. There's a difference between uninstalling and not installing. The drivers were not installed because apparently there were no "in box" drivers available for that hardware. Furthermore, you can't blame Microsoft for not having a driver for your hardware. They have no responsibility nor obligation to support every piece of legacy or future hardware ever made.

3. You can't blame Gigabyte for not supporting Windows 8.1 on your old hardware. They have no responsibility nor obligation to support your hardware for every future Operating System that will be released.

4. The responsibility is yours. If you want to install Windows 8.1 then it's your responsibility to make sure you have hardware that is compatible with the Operating System that you intend to install and that the hardware vendor supports that Operating System and has drivers for your hardware for that Operating System.

Comment

I do understand it is my responsibility to make sure I have the hardware to run Windows 8.1 pro, that's not the problem.

thanks anyway.

Comment

I don't understand the need to "uninstall" Server 2008. Why not just install Windows 8.1 onto the same HDD as that will get rid of Server 2008.

This seems to be more of a getting the appropriate drivers but that may just be my interpretation of the wording.

Have you looked on the motherboard (assuming this is a desktop system) for the sound chip?
                    Did you try running the program that I linked to in my second post?

Ta.
                    1 1 was a racehorse.
                    2 2 was 1 2.
                    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                    2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Have you also tried to use the supplied drivers for Windows 7?

Comment

Working...
                      X