Server 2008R2 - Local DNS settings

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Server 2008R2 - Local DNS settings

I am trying to set up our new local DNS Server within AD to handle internal DNS requests only. We currently use our ISPís DNS server IPís. I have received conflicting advice about the use of forwarders, some say put ISP DNS IPís as forwarders Ė no problem. The security and best practice advice is to not use recursion but if I turn this off it automatically disables forwarders in Server 2008R2! How do I handle this?

Re: Server 2008R2 - Local DNS settings

The security and best practice advice is to not use recursion

Where did you read that?

Comment

The normal solution is to have clients (via DHCP) use the in-house DNS servers and for them to use external DNS forwarders - either the ISP or, if you prefer, google (8.8.8.8 and others) or OpenDNS

Not sure about the recursion without finding a DC to play on, but I doubt if I have ever changed it from the default
      Tom Jones
      MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
      PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
      IT Trainer / Consultant
      Ossian Ltd
      Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by Ossian
        Not sure about the recursion without finding a DC to play on, but I doubt if I have ever changed it from the default
        .................................................. .................................................. .......................Click image for larger version

Name:	ditto.gif
Views:	1
Size:	1.7 KB
ID:	466932

I looked at this earlier and it seems to be more relevant to DNS Servers that have a public interface. (Got a stink of a headache so that may not make much sense but I know what I mean). I took it to mean a DNS that can be accessed from the Internet side of the network as well as the private side. Forgot to save the site I looked at that had the very good explanation; sorry. It could also apply to a DNS in a compromised network where the DNS can now be accessed by an external user.

[Tom or other Forum Mod, if this reads like crap, please DELETE it. Ta]
        1 1 was a racehorse.
        2 2 was 1 2.
        1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
        2 2 1 1 2

Comment

I found it here : us-cert.gov/sites/default/files/publications/DNS-recursion033006.pdf

Comment

In DNS manager, Select server, Properties, Advanded tab, 1st Server option - Disable recursion (also disables forwarders).

Comment

Found it. I thought this was the best to understand explanation. Recursive DNS explained.
              1 1 was a racehorse.
              2 2 was 1 2.
              1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
              2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Originally posted by biggles77 View Post
                I looked at this earlier and it seems to be more relevant to DNS Servers that have a public interface.
                Agree. It doesn't apply to a private internal DNS server.
                Regards,
                Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
                Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
                www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Working...
                X