Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Allow domain simple user to install software on domain network servers

Hello Everyone

Can any1 redirect me to the right & simplest way of solution : may be using group policy to achieve my following requirements

I have a domain server say : A and I have 3 servers in same domain viz - windows 2008 viz : Server X , Y , Z

As of now the simple user are not able to install any software on the network servers[X,Y,Z]

Now from Server A i,e DomainServer i need to allow all simple domain user [who are not admin] for installation on domain Network server i,e X, Y , Z

technically they will be able to download software , but as of now they are not able to install .

any pointers for this ???

Thanks
    Mike

Re: Allow domain simple user to install software on domain network servers

Look into user rights in group policy, combined with restricted groups on the servers
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Simply add domain users group into adminstrators group on the server

Comment

I think the point is that the OP does NOT want to make the user an administrator
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by mikeed View Post
          Hello Everyone

Can any1 redirect me to the right & simplest way of solution : may be using group policy to achieve my following requirements

I have a domain server say : A and I have 3 servers in same domain viz - windows 2008 viz : Server X , Y , Z

As of now the simple user are not able to install any software on the network servers[X,Y,Z]

Now from Server A i,e DomainServer i need to allow all simple domain user [who are not admin] for installation on domain Network server i,e X, Y , Z

technically they will be able to download software , but as of now they are not able to install .

any pointers for this ???

Thanks
          Mike
          Option 1.
          1. Create an OU.
          2. Move server that requires admin rights into the OU.
          3. Create a GPO with local admin rights, or whatever rights your set, and link it to the created OU.

Option 2
          1. Create a GPO with local admin rights, or whatever rights you set.
          2. Create a WMI filter that searches for the server name and appky only to that.
          3. Link the GPO to the relevant OU.

I really have to ask though. Why are you allowing normal users the capability to install software on a server??

Comment

Hi,

To install any software or device drivers you need to grant local admin rights or domain admin rights.

Without this permission, no one can able to install any software.
            I also tried several steps in GPO without granting user to local admin rights. But no ideas are success.

Comment

Working...
            X