No announcement yet.

Dell PERC 6/i Controler

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dell PERC 6/i Controler

I have Dell Server T410 with PREC 6/i Raid controller. the server is running windows 2008 SBS. Dell want me to update the firmware of the controller because it is degraded, but from my experience, you may loose lose the Raid controller setup, that means a big problem. Dell don't want to take the responsibility to confirm the result after the update. Any suggestion how to do that knowing that I do a full backup of my server. anyboady has an Idea how to dd it the safest way?

Re: Dell PERC 6/i Controler

Apart from the full backup, and scheduling potential downtime, there is not much else you can do except bite the bullet1

Make sure you have your RAID arrays documented and installation media etc on hand "just in case" a disaster happens
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

i agree with two things here.

Firstly, Ossian's comments. You have afull backup, so just make sure you've tested those backups, and have drivers and install media on hand. Be preparaed ad you can treat it as a full blown DR exercise

Secondly, yes, it's absolutely fucking stupid that Dell's response to degraded array is normaly "oh your firmware is out of date. Despite the fact that the array is broken and an update COULD hose your data, do this first. then we'll talk about helping you fix it. But in the mean time, while you schedule downtime and complete te task, we'll be actively investigating ways to make it Not Our Problem."

may I ask what sort of array ?
      Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point

I've done this a couple of times on Dell PERC controllers. Luckily, I've not had any issues. Just make absolutely sure you are using the correct firmware update.

As mentioned above you must have a Full Backup.

Secondly - before you apply the firmware update use the PERC configuration utility (you can access it during POST), and document all your PERC settings. That way you can reset it easily if the update kills anything.
        A recent poll suggests that 6 out of 7 dwarfs are not happy