Upgrading SBS 2011

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Upgrading SBS 2011

How hard it is to upgrade a SBS 2011 server with 10 users (Exchange 2010 included) to the latest Windows and Exchange server?

What should I carefully take in consideration before starting?

Thanks,

Alberto

Re: Upgrading SBS 2011

There are a number of articles and how tos, depending on whether you will go with a local exchange server or cloud hosted exchange.
    https://www.google.com/search?q=migr...oe=&gws_rd=ssl

Big question is whether, for 10 users, it will be worth while doing so
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Hi Tom,

Two reasons:

1) When will it possibly be discontinued?
      2) We aren't satisfied about the spam control of Exchange 2010, what can we do?

Thanks,

Alberto

Comment

End of support life will be some way off - looks like 2020:
        http://social.technet.microsoft.com/...businessserver

From my experience, spam control in Exchange 2013 is not much better - consider 3rd party services like MessageLabs (now part of Symantec ) or add-on spam filtering
        (some low cost options here: http://community.spiceworks.com/topi...-exchange-2010)

I have used PolicyPatrol (redearth software) and like it, but others will have alternative opinions
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

GFI MaxMail is a pretty good and low cost alternative to Messagelabs. 4 days continuity, decent security options and around 1 per mailbox per month.

The "recommended" upgrade path these days is to the 2012 essentials product, 20 user limit and cloud email rather than on-premises Exchange. However given Microsoft's new mobile first, cloud first strategy is entirely incompatible with both my paranoia and also with international boundaries as far as the US courts are concerned, I don't recommend that. I don't like putting all my eggs in one basket when I can avoid it, I'm certainly not using someone else's basket.
          BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
          sigpic
          Cruachan's Blog

Comment

I agree with you Cruachan, we are still continuing to purchase standard Outlook desktop licenses.

Are we too old to understand this new trend?

Alberto

Comment

OUtlook is still the standard client, but the email is being stored in the cloud.

Agree with Cruachan - cloud over my dead body
              Tom Jones
              PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
              IT Trainer / Consultant
              Ossian Ltd
              Scotland

Comment

The "recommended" upgrade path these days is to the 2012 essentials product, 20 user limit.
                How is this limit computed? Based on pricing of the cloud service? If cloud is the new trend I would have expected no limits to user count...

Comment

The limit is imposed by Microsoft to make you buy more expensive operating systems for more users (same as the SBS 75 user limit)
                  Tom Jones
                  PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                  IT Trainer / Consultant
                  Ossian Ltd
                  Scotland

Comment

Originally posted by Ossian View Post
                    OUtlook is still the standard client, but the email is being stored in the cloud.

Agree with Cruachan - cloud over my dead body
                    it's going to rain on the day you die now, you know that don't you?

(wow, morbid, sorry!)
                    Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Originally posted by tehcamel View Post
                      it's going to rain on the day you die now, you know that don't you?

(wow, morbid, sorry!)
                      I live in Scotland, so that is the normal state of play
                      Tom Jones
                      PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                      IT Trainer / Consultant
                      Ossian Ltd
                      Scotland

Comment

Working...
                      X