Problems migrating from Server 2003 to 2008 R2

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problems migrating from Server 2003 to 2008 R2

I'm in the process of trying to install a new domain controller at an office and have run into a bit of a problem. I have installed Active Directory on the new server with no problem, did the Adprep on the old server, dcpromo on the new one, all of the FSMO Roles are shown as being controlled by the new server, and I can see and change all the Users and other info under the Active Directory options in Administrative Tools. I have all computers using the new server as their DNS and that seems to be working properly. Yet when I disconnect the old server from the network, I can no longer log in to the domain on the client computers or make Active Directory changes on the new server. As soon as I plug the old Domain Controller back in, everything starts moving along just like it should. For some reason it still seems to be pulling info from that server and I can't seem to find where it's telling it to. Any help would be appreciated.

Re: Problems migrating from Server 2003 to 2008 R2

Two words. Global Catalog

(Ok, some more words). Can you figure it out from there or do you need more help? Not trying to be clever, awkward etc; just want you to have a think and see if you can figure it out yourself. It's the best way to learn. If you can't get it then post back here, ok.

In case you need to get this done quick, have a look at this link to enable QC.
    Last edited by biggles77; 15th September 2014, 13:17. Reason: Add QC link.
    1 1 was a racehorse.
    2 2 was 1 2.
    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
    2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Global Catalog was already enabled on the new server as well. I've done this before and didn't have near the problems I'm having on this one.

Comment

Have you run DCDiag to make sure all is OK on the two boxes?
        Have you run the best practice analysiser on the new DC to make sure all is OK?

Assuming AD is working correctly, are the clients aware of the new DC to authenticate against? How have you given them the new DC to talk to, statically assigned DNS IP's or DHCP?
        The most important thing in life is to be yourself.

Unless you can be Batman.
        Always be Batman.

Comment

Originally posted by wobble_wobble View Post
          Have you run DCDiag to make sure all is OK on the two boxes?
          Have you run the best practice analysiser on the new DC to make sure all is OK?

Assuming AD is working correctly, are the clients aware of the new DC to authenticate against? How have you given them the new DC to talk to, statically assigned DNS IP's or DHCP?
          I ran the BPA on the new one and am getting some errors so I will look into that. All errors seem to be "should be able to collect info".

Clients are getting info through DHCP from the router.

Comment

Is the new server in the same AD Site?

What happens if disconnect the old DC and then reboot a computer that is unable to log on? Can you logon then?
            Try flushing the DNS cache on a client machine.

What is the purpose of disconnecting the old DC? Are you trying to test to see if the new DC is working?
            Regards,
            Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
            Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
            www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Are you sure that the clients are getting the second DC from the DHCP server, some routers can only accept WAN DNS servers.
              Can you confirm from a client with ipconfig /release that a client can see both DC's
              The most important thing in life is to be yourself.

Unless you can be Batman.
              Always be Batman.

Comment

Working...
              X