allow no-admin user to install windows update

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• allow no-admin user to install windows update

Hi every I'm newbie with windows server I want to know how i can allows no-admin users to install windows update

I have find this GPO " Allow non-administrators to receive update notifications"
    but in the explication it is said "On Windows 7: This policy setting has no effect. Users will always see an Account Control window and require elevated permissions to do either of these tasks"

Please can you explain
    Thank you

Re: allow no-admin user to install windows update

Install WSUS and manage the Updates from a single location. Saves a lot of stuffing around.
    1 1 was a racehorse.
    2 2 was 1 2.
    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
    2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Hi thank you for your help
      but please there is no solution without wsus?
      thank you

Comment

Originally posted by adel87 View Post
        but please there is no solution without wsus?
        just add domain users to the administrators group and you'll be good to go... then, there is nothing that Debbie in HR can't help you with, be it installing updates for windows 7 or deleting half the schema...

im totally kidding, don't ever do that unless you hate your job and already have another gig lined up at another tech company.

whats the problem with WSUS? let me quote a snippet that may change the way you feel about WSUS:

Windows Server Update Service (a.k.a. WSUS) is a Microsoft free tool they provide for deploying patches and updates. In my experience this tool is pretty much used by every organisation in the world that has more than a hand full of computers. WSUS is also a requirement for the Software Update option in SCCM 2007.
        so really there is no cost incurred assuming that you have the required hardware and software already in place to accommodate the WSUS service on an appropriate platform.
        its easier to beg forgiveness than ask permission.
        Give karma where karma is due...

Comment

Hi thank you I'm IT student I don't install WSUS now but I will try to install thank you
          so with WSUS allow no admin-user to install widows update and please how I can configure the computers to not restart after the installation of windows update
          Thank you

Comment

Originally posted by adel87 View Post
            Hi thank you I'm IT student I don't install WSUS now but I will try to install thank you
            so with WSUS allow no admin-user to install widows update and please how I can configure the computers to not restart after the installation of windows update
            Thank you
            So you want users to be able to install updates but not restart a machine after it??

How do you propose that the updates get applied??

Install WSUS on a server an configure the relevant GPO's and you'll, typically, never need to worry about it again.

Comment

you're better off configuring updates to apply automatically and reboot the computer automatically, rather than letting end-users run the installers.

wsus is the easiest way to do this, although you can use group policy to control Windows Updates and have them update direct from Microsoft, not wsus
              Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

wullieb1 and tehcamel are pointing you in the right direction. dont worry about delegation of the role, look to automate it entirely and dont worry about applying the updates with human intervention again.

keep you a test computer that mirrors the computers on your domain, and apply updates to it in an orderly fashion. then, when you find an update that BSODs everything, make a note and dont let WSUS push it out.

its way easier to manage a WSUS than to create policies to delegate installs of updates and such. plus, this reduces actual work instead of creating it. youll have more time to sit back and stretch your sack instead of trying to figure out why some hotfixes wont apply and others will.
                its easier to beg forgiveness than ask permission.
                Give karma where karma is due...

Comment

Look here for a tutorial or two.
                  1 1 was a racehorse.
                  2 2 was 1 2.
                  1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                  2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Working...
                  X