Need help with Active Directory and back up strategy

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help with Active Directory and back up strategy

I have an existing Active Directory, which consist of two DCs, with three branch offices with one DC each and a fourth, smaller office with Read-Only DC. How would I go about a really good back up strategy I have few options I wanna try but need some advice on them.

1. Fault-tolerant hardware (Raid1, Raid5, etc)
    2. Backup of the DC to local disk?
    3. Backup of the DC to removable storage?
    4. Additional DCs?

is there any advice on any of these options ?

A respond is deeply appreciated

Thanks

Re: Need help with Active Directory and back up strategy

A combination of all should keep you going, but a lot depends on other factors, such as the all important budget

RAID will give you high availability, but is not a substitute for backups, which should also be made. Additional DCs are similar - they do not help if, for example, an OU is deleted and replicates to all other DCs

On/offsite is your choice - personally I prefer offsite eventually
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Re: Need help with Active Directory and back up strategy

Originally posted by Ossain
      Additional DCs are similar - they do not help if, for example, an OU is deleted and replicates to all other DCs
      Which is why AD Recycle Bin should be always enabled, IMO (assuming Server 2008 R2 and above).

Originally posted by Ossain
      On/offsite is your choice - personally I prefer offsite eventually
      In days of old it was, Onsite, Nearsite and Offsite with the Grandfather, Father, Son (bastard child's third cousin etc -just kidding on that last one ).
      How much data do you have to Backup? If lots then there is a nice HDD solution that has the device fit into a bay on the Server and you plug the HDDs in just like a tape cassette. This allows for FAST backups and a 2" HDD is nice, compact, cheap and can hold lots of data. The speed is such you can always do Full Backups instead of Incremental or Differential.

In the environment that I work, getting someone to take a backup offsite is often a pipedream so I use a NAS drive. Not that good really since it can be wiped along with the file server if you get hacked and this is what happened at other similar sites when they were penetrated. Lucky they had fulltime techs and they had offsite backups. Backup to the Cloud is also an option (and now I have to wash my mouth out with soap for even mentioning that ) but you need to make sure your data has the appropriate protections in place because if it is in the Cloud it is really online for one and all (sort of).

A tale of caution for the person who may take the Offsite backup, offsite. In a business years ago the accountant was tasked with this job. One day, a catastrophe; the Server crashed big time. Rebuild and restore onsite data but it failed. No problem, get the nearsite but that too failed. People were getting nervous when the offsite tapes were brought in. DISASTER! That too failed (accountant sacked on the spot). Turned out the accountant drove an Audi (or was it a Saab) that had electrically heated seats and that is where the offsite taps would sit as he drove home. The electrically heated seats produced an electromagnetic field of sufficient strength to corrupt the backup tapes. Nobody had done due diligence and ever tried a test restore of any ONE of the THREE backups.
      1 1 was a racehorse.
      2 2 was 1 2.
      1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
      2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Working...
      X